Title Tooltip in User Lists Search Criteria

13 years 9 months ago #137149 by Muuurgh
Hi

I've think I've found a bug.

I've created custom user fields, and I want them to be searchable. So I set them up, and they display and are searchable exactly as they should be.

However, the tooltip that shows up in the text box (or select dropdown, whatever type it is) draws the information exactly from the database, which includes html which JCE automatically added to the textarea field I used to give the custom field a description (i.e. the paragraph tags).

It looks odd, and while the work-around is simple (turn off the WYSIWYG editor when editing those fields) it would be nice if the tool-tip didn't display any html by using strip_tags on the output before adding it to the title attribute. I had a search but couldn't find where this was located in the files sorry, so I'm not sure whether it's a problem with the default template or with the actual core CB Code or not.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 9 months ago #137152 by krileon
This is not a bug, Titles on any element do not support HTML. You should not use HTML in your descriptions or it will display as such. This will be addressed for a later release where the hints will be displayed via HTML supporting JS mouse-overs instead of element titles. This is likely to be prepared with CB 2.0, but may arrive in a release sooner then such.

You can edit the core to fit your needs however if you believe the HTML should be stripped. Simply see the function getFieldRow within plugin.class.php. I can not advise you on what to change however as core edits are not supported.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #137182 by Muuurgh
Hi Krileon

I completely agree, attributes do not support HTML. Which is why this is a bug, because Community Builder is telling me that I can put either text OR html in.

I've attached an image to demonstrate this.

The arrow is pointing to the field that is used as both the description of the field, the title and the alt attribute. You can see it clearly says "Text or HTML". Works great for editing a user, as you have that nice JS mouse overs in the title attribute. And all the HTML in the alt attribute. On other pages, the HTML has the possibility of being added to both the alt and title attributes.

Obviously with all the legacy support that CB provides, I'm not saying this is an easy fix, nor even an essential one. If the CB team wants a hand with this area I'm happy to help, PM me if you'd like to take me up on the offer.

--- Ben

Post edited by: Muuurgh, at: 2010/07/06 18:38
Attachments:

13 years 9 months ago #137201 by krileon
HTML is supported in the tooltips when mousing over the info icons, but element titles do not support HTML (limitation of HTML it self, not something CB can do anything about). Sorry, do not see this being classified as a bug as there is no real issue at hand. You can use HTML as the info icons are used to display the descriptions. If you have them disabled then you should not use HTML in the descriptions.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 9 months ago #137239 by Muuurgh
Hi

I think you've misunderstood me. I do not want to put html in the title and alt attributes.

The bug, as I see it, is that CB puts HTML into those attributes. Given that the code already exists to strip the tags from the text, I believe it is a bug that this behaviour is not experienced when the alt and title attributes are filled in.

But hey, it's not my code and no skin off my nose :) Since I'm not worried about the accessibility and I've disabled the ability for users to create accounts I can come up with workarounds for my site.

Thanks for your time :)

13 years 9 months ago #137340 by krileon
Don't see what you mean, if you can provide an example (link? screenshot?) would be appreciative. I also recommend installing CB 1.2.3 and confirming if issue still present.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn