authorized guests only

14 years 1 month ago #127170 by rdaman123
authorized guests only was created by rdaman123
Currently, when you register at our site, you must wait until your email address is validated and we make sure you are part of our club (a manual yes/no process) before you gain access to members-only resources.

Is there anyway to implement Facebook Connect while retaining a process similar to this?

If we let just anyone with a Facebook account access our community, it loses its exclusivity.

Any thoughts?

And thanks for a great product B)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 1 month ago #127176 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:authorized guests only
rdaman123 wrote:

Currently, when you register at our site, you must wait until your email address is validated and we make sure you are part of our club (a manual yes/no process) before you gain access to members-only resources.

Is there anyway to implement Facebook Connect while retaining a process similar to this?

If we let just anyone with a Facebook account access our community, it loses its exclusivity.

Any thoughts?

And thanks for a great product B)

Well, the idea behind this is that Facebook users get fast - one click access.

If you do not want users to signup using their Facbook accounts then just set the parameter to not allow sign-up (just logins) - its described in the documentation.

With this setting, users will need to complete your regular sign-up process and be approved, etc. Then at a later stage they can link their Facebook account with the website account.

14 years 1 month ago #127179 by rdaman123
Replied by rdaman123 on topic Re:authorized guests only
Thanks for the quick reply!

I remember reading something about "just logins" in the docs. I guess it didn't dawn on me what that meant, at the time.

That's fair enough. FB Connect could still be an incremental improvement to our site just for the optional convenience of one-click access *after* they register.

That way, we're also sure to get their actual email address vs the proxy one provided by FB.

But, when they sync with FB after they are registered members, will their email address change to the proxy one from their FB account?

In the docs it says we 'could' send email to these proxy addresses, but we must get express permission.

Is this something we code or does FB handle asking for permission?

Cheers!

14 years 1 month ago #127183 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:authorized guests only
The facebook proxy will not sync accorss, newly created users are created with an invalid email address and will need to supply a valid email address.

Due to facebook policy change in order for the the integration to obtain and use a users email it would need to request additional permission, which would be an additional pop-up (in addition to the one used to sign in).

The idea was to avoid such additional pop ups as they're a nuisance for users and many users are reluctant to reveal their email address to begin with.

Therefor when users update their profiles they'll need to provide a valid email address. As the one created by facebook or twitter is not valid.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn