Installed memcached now captcha says invalid

14 years 2 days ago #131058 by sfraise
I installed memcached today to try and reduce the load on queries to improve performance. Unfortunately the cb captcha plugin is acting up now.

The image loads fine, but when you hit submit it always says it's invalid.

I've got it disabled right now, anyone have any idea on how to get this to work while using memcached?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 2 days ago #131067 by nant

14 years 1 day ago #131126 by sfraise
cb captcha 2.0.1
cb 1.2.2
Joomla 1.0.13

I've got an error log in the cb captcha plugin folder and this is what it shows:
[22-Apr-2010 13:19:06] PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/memcache.so' - /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/memcache.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

Is there a work around to this to maybe?
We run about 17,000 page loads per day and I have several components running on this site so memcached and a php accelerator is kind of a must for performance as the site continues to grow.

14 years 1 day ago #131156 by nant
Have no idea and no experience with the memcached script.

The captcha version is at 2.2.2 (just released earlier).

How can I get this memcached script to test and see if it works ok with latest captcha - although i have a feeling it won't.

14 years 1 day ago #131158 by sfraise
Hi Nant,

The memcached site is memcached.org/.
A lot of larger dynamic sites use this to reduce the database load. Joomla 1.5 now has memcached support built directly into the core so it's something Joomla it's self has embraced. I'm working on upgrading to 1.5 but am still trying to get everything working right together and looking right before I switch the live site over to the new version.

I'm currently running eAccelerator for the php handling and memcached for database improvement, especially since Google started taking page load speed into it's algo those of us running database/php intensive sites like Joomla have to do everything we can to get the best performance possible to compete with non-dynamic sites. As an example I'm chasing the keyword "chat" and have to compete with sites like chat-avenue.com which is a straight html site right out of 1994 but holds a top 3 rank. Obviously his page load speed of under 1 second is going to blow away my page load speed of over 10 seconds before database/php/page caching, minifying, and compressing. Of course I'm never ever ever going to have a page load speed of under 1 second but at least with eAccelerator, memcached, gzipping, and minifying I can get it down to under 3 seconds. I'm currently floating around between the number 9-11 spot in Google so at this point for such a competitive keyword I need every advantage I can get.

All of that said, I also really need that captcha for a site like mine as it's prime picking for the spammers. So I really need to find a way to get this to work with memcached. I'm currently looking into this to see if there is a way to exclude the captcha from memcached if the newer version still doesn't work with it.

It seems the most common issue with Joomla and memcached lies with the session handling. I don't have any problems with logins and registrations though, just with the captcha validation.

Memcached is:
Free & open source, high-performance, distributed memory object caching system, generic in nature, but intended for use in speeding up dynamic web applications by alleviating database load.

Memcached is an in-memory key-value store for small chunks of arbitrary data (strings, objects) from results of database calls, API calls, or page rendering.

Memcached is simple yet powerful. Its simple design promotes quick deployment, ease of development, and solves many problems facing large data caches. Its API is available for most popular languages.

Post edited by: sfraise, at: 2010/04/23 22:02

Post edited by: sfraise, at: 2010/04/23 22:17

14 years 1 day ago #131166 by nant
If you have a test site (with memcache) that I can install our latest captcha on to see what's happening, please PM me backend access.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn