Text intermittent and cache problem.

13 years 11 months ago #132011 by kreep69
Text intermittent and cache problem. was created by kreep69
We registered and bought the Docs subscription for this Captcha module and it is not working.

There are two problems:

1) The text displays intermittently and seemingly for only one font (not sure which it is). It may work once or twice or even three times randomly but many times just the random background shows with no text. When text does show it seems to be a fixed/mono type font.

2) The built in Joomla "System - Cache" seems to cause a problem on the registration and Forgot Password forms, how can it be disabled for specific pages when the Captcha is in effect (running Joomla without a Cache is not an option)?

System and App Info:
Joomla 1.5.17
Community Builder 1.2.2

Things we tried -

Setting all folder perms to 755 and file perms to 644.

Turning off the Cache in both Joomla/Plugins and the Global Configuration.

Using the default theme.

Ensured the font casing was correct in the XML file and in the /fonts folder (they were).

Ensured we meet the requirements (PHP5, GD, Freetype, etc.) - its green on the Plugin Page too.

We tried both the CB Login and Joomla Login options and also both Image only or both Image and Sound.

We also looked at every post and tried every suggestion in this CB Captcha support forum.

Nothing seems to affect the outcome - sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, please help.

Post edited by: kreep69, at: 2010/05/03 06:33

Post edited by: kreep69, at: 2010/05/03 06:34

Post edited by: kreep69, at: 2010/05/03 06:35

Post edited by: kreep69, at: 2010/05/03 06:36
The topic has been locked.
13 years 11 months ago #132021 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Text intermittent and cache problem.
Please PM me backend access and I will take a look.
13 years 11 months ago #132081 by kreep69
Replied by kreep69 on topic Re:Text intermittent and cache problem.
nant wrote:

Please PM me backend access and I will take a look.

Okay, thank you. We're setting up a domain with a snapshot but it may take a few days (or more if we need to buy a new domain for testing purposes). Will PM you when it's ready to go.
13 years 11 months ago #132083 by nant
13 years 11 months ago #132138 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Text intermittent and cache problem.
Ok, took a quick look with credentials you emailed me.

kreep69 wrote:

System and App Info:
Joomla 1.5.17
Community Builder 1.2.2

You stated CB 1.2.2, but the site you gave me has CB 1.2.1. Please upgrade and retest.

I have also sent you a detailed email response with further findings.
13 years 11 months ago #133123 by kreep69
Replied by kreep69 on topic Re:Text intermittent and cache problem.
An update 2010-05-14 - CB 1.2.2 is installed and nothing has changed regarding the intermittent Captcha.

I've been debugging this and it seems the code generation is always intact and the text is always 'there' even if it cannot be seen (ie: value is always defined and audio captcha can read the letters) but something in the text rendering fails randomly.

The font being used does not matter. The browser does not matter (ie/firefox/etc.). mod_security, suhosin, and php safe_mode being off make no difference. The version of CB made no difference. The template being used does not matter. This appears to be something in this specific Captchas text rendering implementation.

Looking through the code either something with the RGB values or the image textbox generation (or some other dynamic value) may be falling out of some accepted range for GD/Freetype.

If you 'View Image' and use the same 'captchasid' value it will intermittently have the problem so maybe one way to proceed is to output all critical values along with the image and see what the parameters are when the image text render fails.

You guys seemed to start out strong (on your word) in trying to fix this but seem to have stopped or have had other commitments come calling. That is fine, however I am a paying customer trying to use what is labeled a stable Captcha package on a server that meets all the requirements and where at least 4 other PHP Captchas are running with no problems.

I've also spent a lot of time setting up a sandbox website and debug environment, log access, server settings, and accomodating or executing all your suggestions to ease your developement and debugging and testing as you specified all to no avail.

It would be nice to have this fixed and you should be interested in why your Captcha is not working in this environment but if not, that is fine too but a refund is in order because I will not be paying for something that does not work.

Don't bother mentioning how the Captcha is packaged with 20 other plugins (mostly beta) or that a documentation for CB is included because I'm not using any other plugins and not reading any documentation. I'm paying $50 for this Captcha (which by the way should be included in any modern web app that asks for public form input) and it just is not working.

No one is paying me and it seems I'm the one doing a lot of work. I'm probably going end up having to code a Captcha for the CB reg page and if so, then so be it but I will not be doing that in addition to paying for this.
Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn