Text intermittent and cache problem.

13 years 10 months ago #134154 by artonezero
Replied by artonezero on topic Re:Text intermittent and cache problem.
I am also having this problem.

See www.currency-news.com/component/comprofiler/registers

My system is completely up to date i.e.

Joomla 1.5.17
CB 1.2.2
Captcha plugin 2.2.2

Server Debian Lenny completely upgraded today

I am experiencing the same problem as previous posters, i.e. the letters are missing from the Captcha image.

FYI, if I reload the Captcha image using e.g. the reload image function in the Opera browser, then new images are presented with letters included, but the first image is blank.

This is causing me difficulties with an important commercial client and I would be grateful if I can be given a fix asap.

Thanks you.
The topic has been locked.
13 years 10 months ago #134165 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Text intermittent and cache problem.
We've already spent hours on this problem on a particular installation, and it's really only a few lines of code around PHP, gd and freetype libraries.

This might help finding the issue:

Which

PHP version ?
GD version ?
Freetype version ?
hoster ?
and maybe linux operating system version ?

Also which exact browser and OS ?
Does it work in other browsers ?

Maybe it's just a single server at a single hoster having memory issues ?

do the people in here who experience that problem have ?

The problem we saw was really intermittant. We actually removed all randomness from the php code itself to make the image deterministic, and the FreeType library of that system still randomly did not render the letters.

Really wierd issue.

Anyone with root access on such a machine which has this issue ?

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
13 years 10 months ago #134190 by artonezero
Replied by artonezero on topic Re:Text intermittent and cache problem.
Hi Beat

This is my server so I can give root access. Please PM me a secure email address and you can have a look.

FYI, the server is

Debian Linux Lenny (latest stable)
running as a virtual server under Xen

libfreetype6 2.3.7-2
php5-gd 5.2.6
libgd2-xpm 2.0.36
PHP 5.2.6
hoster: My company

Not a browser related problem. Same results on FF, Opera, Chrome on Linux (Ubuntu Desktop latest stable)

Also fails on IE6/7/8 on Win XP
Also fails on IE8 on Win7

Most probably related to server software package versions - Debian and Ubuntu platform is quite a big slice of the hosting market and many hosters will be running the above configuration.

Hope this helps

Best
Mike
13 years 10 months ago #134290 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Text intermittent and cache problem.
Let me first compare with the versions we use on our hosting which is also Debian/Ubuntu-based, and where i could not reproduce the issue.

Will then PM (Private Message) you if access is needed.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn