Any alternatives to visual/audio captcha for CB?

12 years 3 months ago #186803 by olsparents
Hi folks

I really don't like the standard approach to CAPTCHAs, as provided by the CB CAPTCHA module. These CAPTCHAs create a barrier for many users - not just spambots. Even with audio versions , they create a particular barrier for users with disabilities.

This interesting article shows the effect of captchas on conversion rates; www.seomoz.org/blog/captchas-affect-on-conversion-rates

I'm looking to implement some of the alternative approaches to blocking spambots, as detailed in this article; www.simiusweb.com/news/2009_07_07_form_spam_prevention.htm

Ideally, I'd like to be able to ask a simple question where the answer would be well known to our target audience, but not known at all to a spambot, or to the rest of the world. Any registrations that don't have the right answer should be automatically rejected.

Is there any way I can implement a custom question validation within Community Builder?

Thanks in advance

Shane

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 3 months ago #186839 by ellare
I agree with Shane and usability concerns....

Looking for some better options with the CB Captcha... like regeneration and better documented "audio playback" options

12 years 3 months ago #186862 by beat
Any standard CB text field can have server-side validation using a regex string. Just add such a field with your question as title and your reply (or set of possible replies in a regex server-side validation.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

12 years 3 months ago #186863 by beat

ellare wrote: I agree with Shane and usability concerns....

Looking for some better options with the CB Captcha... like regeneration and better documented "audio playback" options

Can you explain what you mean by better documented "audio playback" options and suggest better "documentation" ?

Access to blind people has always been a concern to us, and we have test Community Builder with a blind user, and implemented feedbacks since release 1.2.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

12 years 3 months ago #186870 by ellare
Is there a way for a user to "regenerate" the captcha image if they cannot determine what is automatically rendered? Am I just missing that option in a parameter setting ?

I am on a joomla 1.5.23 site with CB Captcha version 2.4

Also - the audio playback is not working for me. I am only given the "click to externally play or download sound file" option - Is that normal? That doesn't seem very user friendly. And even if I do choose to save-n-play - the audio file plays the "army version" {{NATO phonetic alphabet}} of the letters generated in the captcha...

so for "fwzzca" - the audio file states "foxtrot whiskey zulu zulu charlie alpha". I would want to include some kind of instruction/documentation to the user about how to "decode" the "army-speak" {{ which is the NATO phonetic alphabet }}.

thanks
LrG

I can provide site and user access if needed.

12 years 3 months ago #186880 by nant

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn