Switching from image field

13 years 8 months ago #138634 by KatoKalin
Switching from image field was created by KatoKalin
The Ajax file field is very interesting for me.
However on a site already running I have been using an image type field for users to upload an image. Now I see that this field has a special renaming scheme for the uploaded images and uses the regular images/comprofiler folder.

Now I wonder if a change is possible at all to switch from the image field to the Ajax field type. If I install the new field type and change the field type value in the database will:

- The already existing images still be accessible?
- New images be uploaded into the same folder like the already exising images?
- Will new images use the same renaming scheme?

I am aware that I would need to be a documentation subscriber which I would gladly become if the field switching will work. However I wonder if there are discounts available for the many many suggestions I have already made for the CB 2.0 version. Maybe you wanna think about it. :whistle: :lol: :woohoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 8 months ago #138670 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Switching from image field

Now I wonder if a change is possible at all to switch from the image field to the Ajax field type.

Yes it's possible, but would require a database edit. However it is an Ajax Text field and not an Image field so users images will not display appropriately in the same manner an image field would. They would not lose their image unless they changed the contents of the field; even then the image wouldn't be deleted as the ajax text field is not designed to handle images.

However I wonder if there are discounts available

No.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 8 months ago #138715 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic Re:Switching from image field
Thanks for your reply. I hope it is a misunderstanding: I am talking about the Ajax file field type.
Do I understand your reply correctly, that the image would not get displayed the same way it gets displayed with the current image type field?
In which way does it get displayed then? And as it is a file upload field, what is the use for this then?

Edit:
I found following statement from you here: www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/func,view/catid,114/id,135684/

the File fieldtype plugin stores uploads to is images/comprofiler/plug_cbfilefield/USER_ID

Let me state again what is the case:
I am using an image fieldtype for users uploading pictures. The images get stored in /images/comprofiler and renamed to something like cb_fieldname_jdue93jf99e.jpg.

Now how would it be possible to change this field to the Ajax field type and keeping the images that have been uploaded already and are obviously in the wrong directory for the new fieldtype.

If they are stored here [code:1]/images/comprofiler [/code:1] but after the change the plugin would be looking in there [code:1]images/comprofiler/plug_cbfilefield/USER_ID[/code:1]
how could this ever be working?

Post edited by: KatoKalin, at: 2010/07/27 14:04

13 years 8 months ago #138774 by krileon
I don't understand what you're trying to ask. The Ajax Text fieldtype plugin is a Text field. It is NOT an image field. It will not display the same or correctly as an image field. You can change the fieldtype within your database by seeing the _comprofiler_fields, but it's not advised to change a fieldtype from one to another.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 8 months ago #138807 by KatoKalin
Replied by KatoKalin on topic Re:Switching from image field

I don't understand what you're trying to ask.

Yeah. Because you are talking about the Ajax text field, while I am talking about the Ajax file field, which is described in this article: www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/8109/1/

I do believe I am in the correct section to ask this question regarding this plugin.

13 years 8 months ago #138858 by krileon
My mistake, yes indeed was talking about the ajax text field. However, it doesn't matter it's the same situation. Changing from image to file field will result in all the images being lost. They're stored in different locations. You can't not simply change the fieldtype and expect content to be maintained, this is why CB does not allow you to do so from backend once a field is saved. You'd need to move ALL the images from the image fieldtype into the structure the file fieldtype uses. Please review images/comprofiler for the structure of both fields file storage.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn