[#1673] CB Privacy plugin default

13 years 4 months ago #148487 by tthdoc
Replied by tthdoc on topic Re:[#1673] CB Privacy plugin default
Is there any word on this? I just upgraded to 1.3 and it is still the same. This feature request was made at least 6 months ago, but it does not seem to be there in the latest upgrade.

I understand that you would prefer people to not hack the main code, since these hacks disappear when you upgrade, but it would be nice to have the option if it is doable. Obviously there must be somewhere in the code that sets the default that we could change, at least for now until a new version with this capability is ready.

With that thought in mind, if it is possible to do this, could someone post it and let us, the end user, assume the risk for hacking the code.

Doc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #148598 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:[#1673] CB Privacy plugin default
Defaults for CB Privacy have not been implemented. CB Privacy is not currently our top priority, we will get to the feature when time permits. You're welcome to edit and suggest implementations to further speed development of said feature as the plugin is open source.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #153637 by river1210
Replied by river1210 on topic Re:[#1673] CB Privacy plugin default
Hi, have been using joomla for about 9 months, teaching myself and learning along the way.
I believe this topic is something that has cropped up on this forum a few time previously, the problem is that as it is now mandatory law in the UK to register with the 'Data Protection Legislation' if you collect any 'personal data' such as email addresses, passwords, credit card details and any information unique to an individual. If the privacy plugin even has the remotest chance of showing something publicly that shouldn't be shown, registered with Data Protection or not as a webmaster/data controller you are immediately left open to, what the UK government refer to as an unlimited fine, which is capped at £500,000 excluding civil cases of the individual, who's data may be in question.
This of course presents a rather large problem. So far everything else seems ok and I genuinely think that the developers have done a great job the CB component, my only qualm is the comment that 'The privacy plugin isn't the developers top priority' as security & data protection breaches is the number one topic at present, its the most talked about problem with regards to Internet safety.

Again I genuinely do not want to, for want of a better word, scare anyone off the idea of setting up websites of this nature, but unfortunately if and when a something does happen, and the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) gets involved (which they have to) it all becomes very real indeed.

I need to know from the developers, and I do appreciate that perhaps this component may not be designed as a face book alternative, (using face book as a example) but face books privacy setting are at a level that is consistent with UK data protection compliance, so if the privacy plugin allows a (non-friend or non-connected) user to view anything more on someone's profile than they would be able to on face book then we may of hit troubled water.

Hopefully there are ways to have private what needs to be and its just a case of configuring the plugin, so just need to clarify this.

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #153678 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:[#1673] CB Privacy plugin default
I've already implemented defaults; patch is available on forge. Patch does not guarantee the exact implementation as adjustments may be made. So if patch is applied and a new release is made you should then install that new release. With patch applied admins will be able to set a default privacy for a field that has not yet had privacy applied (e.g. at registration or first time profile edit).

If you need information to be private then simply set it not to display on profile; I fail to see how this is even remotely an issue. We are aware several governments have privacy laws and CB more then complies with them based off how the admin has configured their site. For instance if Email must be private in your country then simply set it to not show on profile; it will never display.

As in terms of CB Privacy it gives the user absolute control over the privacy of their information. We certainly can not speak for 3rd party developers integrations however as if they pull this data directly from database it will clearly ignore privacy restraints. If however they use API to retrieve a field then it will respect those privacy settings.

CB Privacy isn't our top priority. While important it is just a small part of what CB is. This does not mean we don't upgrade or maintain it. We simply work on it when we can and not above say fixing critical bugs or security issues. We plan to have much more controls of course with release of CB 2.0, which will hopefully have privacy controls built in making the necessity of CB Privacy obsolete.

At any rate CB is free and completely open source. This means you are free to edit it in any way you want and implement anything you want; if there's something you need that CB lacks then simply implement it or develop as a plugin (best approach). Rarely do users propose fixes or features as patchs to fix an issue; they simply wait for us to do it. With over 30+ projects and 3 team members (expanding this is not exactly simple either.. we do not have corporate funds for a huge team.. subscribers is our only income.. with CB being free not many feel need to subscribe) you could understand our time is thin; we really encourage developers to dig in and help.. it would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 2 months ago #153702 by river1210
Thank you for answering my question so quickly, unfortunately since posting something has gone wrong with all of my text layout back end and front end. I tried to install joomgallery CB name tab, as this is supposedly made to work with CB, unfortunately I received the dreaded (no xml file found) then upon closer inspection I discovered that the joom gallery plugin was designed for CB 1.1 & 1.2, not the new 1.3 I currently have installed, my fault for not checking. The problem is that around that time (any) text what so ever relating to CB, all menus & text on back end, as well as all tabs, login etc all show with an underscore between each and every word,

Example of how just my login section on my site looks

_UE_USERNAME
_UE_PASS
_UE_REMEMBER_ME
_UE_LOST_USERNAME_PASSWORD
_UE_NO_ACCOUNT _UE_REGISTER

(all back end menus look similar) but only cb related text

this of course makes everything now illegible, the problem is that my site is live and everything is gobbledygook, have you any idea what ive done and how to fix this?

Much appreciated

13 years 2 months ago #153704 by river1210
Hi, to save you the hassle of writing a reply, i spend the last few hours with it and i think i've figured it out, for some reason, installing the joomgallery CB tab plugin seems to have uninstalled my default language (english) file. As well as put a line through it and showing the default file transparent and unclickable. So i have reinstalled the english language file from your language psck download section and all now seems to be back to normal.
Many Thanks

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn