Convert to CB LinkedIn Connect

13 years 5 months ago #143238 by softforge
Convert to CB LinkedIn Connect was created by softforge
Thanks for the great CB Twitter Connect plugin, it is working really well on several of our sites!

However, more of our CB sites would benefit from connecting to LinkedIn because CB works so well as a business networking tool as well as just a social one.

I realised that Twitter and LinkedIn both use OAuth so I took the CB Twitter Connect Plugin, more or less replaced "twitter" with "linkedin", changed the API URLs and successfully installed it on a development site.

To my amazement, in less than an hour, I had modified the Twitted Connect plugin into a mostly working LinkedIn Connect Plugin. When I click "Sign in", it jumps off the LinkedIn asking me to grant permission for the website to have access to my profile. On granting permission, it jumps back to CB but gives the following error:

Linkedin ID not present!

I have started trying to debug this but OAuth is new to me and there is a lot of code in the CB Twitter Connect Plugin.

I am determined to get this working as it will benefit many of our sites but I thought that it may be something that CB wanted to support officially. It may even be planned so I don't want to duplicate effort.

So, what do you think of about a CB LinkedIn Connect Plugin? It really doesn't look like it will be too difficult, especially with the experience and code from the CB Twitter Connect Plugin.

Should I continue working on my version or would my time be better spent helping test an official version? I am happy to share what I have already done if will help at all.

Here is a link to the LinkedIn OAuth documentation:

developer.linkedin.com/docs/DOC-1008

Many thanks :)

Post edited by: softforge, at: 2010/10/01 13:29

If you like our plugins, please consider writing a review on the Joomla Extension Directory or the Community Builder Directory ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #143281 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Convert to CB LinkedIn Connect
It's planned, I might be able to get around to in say 2 weeks or so, but currently am busy with GJ 2.0 at this time.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 5 months ago #143298 by softforge
Replied by softforge on topic Re:Convert to CB LinkedIn Connect
Amazing! :)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help...

If you like our plugins, please consider writing a review on the Joomla Extension Directory or the Community Builder Directory ...

13 years 4 months ago #145239 by softforge
Great work with GroupJive, looking forward to stable!

I don't suppose you have had a chance to look at the LinkedIn plugin yet? I'm not trying to push but I might carry on with my effort if you think it will be a while before you get to it.

Many thanks for all your great work! :)

13 years 4 months ago #145299 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Convert to CB LinkedIn Connect
Yes have looked into the API and have had major work done on existing plugins and CB Connect. Appears with their API it should be a simple addition. I however have not had time to add linkedin yet. You can continue your efforts if you like as it's entirely up to you. Am trying my best to get to everything, but currently some bugs in CB Privacy need attention before I can get to other issues.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 4 months ago #145304 by softforge
Great, that's what I thought and I totally understand that this is not top priority. As you are in a much better position then me to integrate LinkedIn, I will hold off for a bit as I don't want to duplicate effort.

As always, let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Many thanks!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.874 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn