[SOLVED] Choice in Drop-down User Search Gives ALL Results

13 years 5 months ago #144482 by shassler
I got the manual a couple of days ago. I've done lots of searches in this forum. I'm sure this is posted somewhere and is so basic that I'll be slapping my forehead. That said... Making any selection in the drop-down user list menu on frontend returns all users not my selection.

I have a "category" field that's searchable. It's the only field that is searchable. I have these categories required so far during registration in a drop-down menu:
Clothing
Jewelry
Furniture

params main Users list:
Default: Yes
Sort: Category [ASC]
Enabled Columns-4: Company, Category, Address, Phone
Multi-Criteria Searches:
Searchable fields: Searchable fields, displayed
ones only
Search criteria: Simple Exact match

params the same for the three Categories user lists except
Default: Yes
Sort: Company

The CB Users Menu link goes to page with ALL users. When I select Clothing in drop-down search menu top right, I get Clothing as page title but results show ALL users, not just Clothing. Same result if select any choice: name changes but get ALL users.

When I click on Search Users link under the drop-down menu and select Clothing from the Search Users window, I get the correct results, just Clothing.

Surely I'm missing something extremely simple for this drop-down menu search but I can't figure it out. Is there a way to get my selection of Clothing in the drop-down to return only Clothing, Jewelry to return only Jewelry? I'm really hoping I don't have to set a URL for each of these categories because there are lots more to do.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/10/22 18:46

Sharon Hassler
SmallBusinessWebsitesOnly.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #144520 by krileon
Is the drop-down a single-select or a multi-select? Do you have a public link to the issue? Have you reviewed debug procedures within help us help you in my signature?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 5 months ago #144542 by shassler
Sorry, since I'm talking about CB user lists and mentioned the "Search Users" link right below the drop-down menu, I thought you'd understand that the "drop-down" search menu I'm referring to is the one that's created when you create a new menu item, link it to a CB user list and choose Show Search only or Show List only in Parameters (Basic). As far as your question about it being multi-search, since it's showing the main member list plus three other user lists, I'm guessing it's a multi-search but that wasn't a parameter I had the option of setting.

No, I didn't go through all your debug suggestions or disable everything yet. As popular as CB is, I would hope your program works with most standard plugins which is all I have installed. It would be nice if you would make one or two attempts at an answer before suggesting I spend hours "debugging." It's only natural that you prefer I waste my time first rather than waste yours but with your CB expertise and since I paid for the manual already, I had hoped you'd take a stab at helping me. I get the impression that you're sitting there looking at my question and saying, here's another ignorant person not worthy of my time. You're right about one thing: When it comes to CB, I am ignorant because I don't have knowledge of the program like you do. But being ignorant on CB is not the same as being stupid in general.

No, I didn't post a link to the website to show you the issue of the Community Builders Users list search menu because the site isn't functioning properly yet and I don't want it public. I could PM you if that's an option.

Most of the responses on this forum from your CB experts say something like "reread chapter 7" which is no help if chapter 7 doesn't elaborate sufficiently to help a novice. Your manual seems to be a reprint of the text from CB just in larger type with some screenshots and very few additional explanations which is very disappointing. So after days of not finding an answer to my CB User List Menu problem, I think I'll just use the URL solution which was posted by another CB user, not one of your experts. I still think there's a simple solution built into CB but I'll stick with the URL one rather than spend more hours searching for the "quicker" one.

I've used CB on two other sites but never tried to set up menus for multiple user lists so I don't understand the options or even know if there are options. CB is a great program with no competition so I'll continue to use it. I respect and appreciate what the developers created. It would be nice if a struggling, frustrated web designer could get a tiny smidgeon of that respect or a shred of empathy in return.

Sharon Hassler

13 years 5 months ago #144549 by krileon
You are referring to Joomla menu links with search criteria already specified, correct? I need clarification as to what the issue is (importance of the debug procedure I asked you to do; not all steps need to be done, but do many as you see fit). Yes sending PM links is fine.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 5 months ago #144573 by shassler
The issue is the user list search menu upper right. Member is set as the default. When I select a category like Shop:Clothing, the name Shop:Clothing then shows up but the list shows All not the one category I chose.

If I choose Search Users and have the Search criteria box displayed and select Shop:Clothing, I get the correct result with just the Clothing category users.

I would like to use the small dropdown menu only NOT the big Search criteria box but can't get the correct results. This seems like something perfect for CB.

Sorry for the rant earlier but it's going on 4 days of frustration. I've PMed the site link showing the page with the problem.

Sharon Hassler

13 years 5 months ago #144611 by krileon
I see, you'll need to edit each one of your lists and add a Filter for it. This way it is filtering at all points of time by that type. I recommend adding a filter for your Shop: XYZ lists then setting Searchable fields: to No. This way when a user selects that list from the drop-down it shows just that shop type and no search criteria.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 1.574 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn