Login Redirects - no solution help!

13 years 3 months ago #148615 by mcarbone
Login Redirects - no solution help! was created by mcarbone
HI,

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse with this topic, but I have read all posts and nothing seems to work.

I have cb 1.3 installed and j!1.5.22 installed on a php 5.+ server.

I cannot get the login module to Redirect to the desired URL (previous URL destination after login).

I have done the following:
1. Created a restricted menu item on a hidden menu.
2. created an alias menu item on a main menu that points to the restricted menu item.
3. I have disabled core Joomla login with this .
4. enabled cb_login module showing in a "user1" position. This is set to "none" for menu items.
5."Login Redirection URL" of the cb_login module is blank.
6. Components -> CB -> configuration _> registration tab has had two settings, redirect still not working:
a. Setting 1: index.php?option=com_comprofiler
b. Setting 2: blank

What am I doing wrong? I have searched for months without success. How can I get the login to redirect to the restricted access page after login?

Thank you and I sincerely apologize about any duplication in questions.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #148665 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Login Redirects - no solution help!
The first time login redirect only works for first time login and then never again. You can confirm if a user has been logged in before by checking the last visit date in User Management.

I don't understand the steps you're performing, but please see below example.

URL: index.php?option=com_comprofiler

Joomla Backend > Components > Community Builder > Configuration > Registration
URL for first login visit: index.php?option=com_comprofiler

The above will redirect me to MY PROFILE once I login for the first time.

Joomla Backend > Extensions > Module Manager > CB Login
Login Redirection URL: index.php?option=com_comprofiler

The above will redirect me to MY PROFILE on EVERY successful login.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #148674 by mcarbone
Replied by mcarbone on topic Re:Login Redirects - no solution help!
Hi Kyle,

Thank you for the prompt response. My goal is to direct visitors to the restricted page they were trying to go to before login.

For example:
I click on "scholarships" in Main Menu. (This is restricted content). This directs the user to the login. The user then logs in and is then redirected to the restricted "scholarships" page.

The "steps" I listed were actually just configurations for a restricted menu item and the cb_login module to help those understand what I've done and any steps that may restrict my goal.

13 years 3 months ago #148756 by krileon

Thank you for the prompt response. My goal is to direct visitors to the restricted page they were trying to go to before login.

You can't do this. That is called a double-back. CB only records 1 URL back by posting it with the login form via the "return" input field.

When you visit a restricted page you're redirected from the destination to the error page. This makes the return URL the error page it self. Obviously such a page is invalid after login so you're sent back to the homepage.

With an integration in place it's a triple-back as you're sent from destination to error then to login page. CB still can't send back that far unless the return URL is intelligently handled with some sort of API (non-existent) and stored to session (dangerous) or maybe a cookie (slow).

You could actually make an integration to handle this. It would need to be 2 part. 1 being a Joomla system plugin so it can store and keep track of the URL (cookie? session? database?). You'd then need another integration that is a CB plugin which uses the onafterlogin trigger to grab from your storage method the URL and send the user to it.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 3 months ago #148788 by mcarbone
Replied by mcarbone on topic Re:Login Redirects - no solution help!
Thanks again for your help Kyle. i have seen this response before, so i apologize for making you explain it again. The last response was a while ago and I was wondering if anyone every found a solution.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that out. What about this...

Instead of a login request sent to joomla and then the CB plugin redirecting it to the CB login, is it possible to disable core joomla user functions (login, registration, etc?) and have the request sent directly to CB, that way it will only need to go one back.

I understand about restricted content, it would still need to go two back. It's just that I really need the restricted areas visible to visitors.

Thank you,

MC

13 years 3 months ago #148845 by krileon

Instead of a login request sent to joomla and then the CB plugin redirecting it to the CB login, is it possible to disable core joomla user functions (login, registration, etc?) and have the request sent directly to CB, that way it will only need to go one back.

As far as I am aware, no. That'd require directly editing Joomlas core code, which I don't even know if that'd work.

I understand about restricted content, it would still need to go two back. It's just that I really need the restricted areas visible to visitors.

A user would simply need to click the link again or navigate back to where they wanted after login. Typically this is how it works on nearly all websites around the web.

We'll be reviewing better methods with release of CB 2.0, but currently is too large a change to implement in 1.x release for the time being.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn