[SOLVED] What limits image uploads in profile?

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #252044 by sylvanr
I use quite a few instances of the image field in the user profile. Everything worked fine initially with a few image upload fields but then as I added more, they quit working? There seemed to be a limit on the number of image fields used in the profile? I tried adjusting posting parameters in the php.ini file and that seemed to fix it for a couple of days. I increased the memory_limit to 1000M and post_max_size to 1000M and that seemed to work for a few more image fields but then then seemed to hit another limit? At that point, I put both memory_limit and post_max_size to 2000M and it didn't seem to make a difference this time? It appears like I hit a limit at about 15 image fields within the user profile when it quits working? Any other image fields over that 15 will not work to upload additional pics. Is there a way to remove any limit to the number of instances of image fields used within a profile? Is this limit created by CB or is it some other parameter somewhere else other than the php.ini settings?

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #252079 by nant
Replied by nant on topic What limits image uploads in profile?

sylvanr wrote: I use quite a few instances of the image field in the user profile. Everything worked fine initially with a few image upload fields but then as I added more, they quit working? There seemed to be a limit on the number of image fields used in the profile? I tried adjusting posting parameters in the php.ini file and that seemed to fix it for a couple of days. I increased the memory_limit to 1000M and post_max_size to 1000M and that seemed to work for a few more image fields but then then seemed to hit another limit? At that point, I put both memory_limit and post_max_size to 2000M and it didn't seem to make a difference this time? It appears like I hit a limit at about 15 image fields within the user profile when it quits working? Any other image fields over that 15 will not work to upload additional pics. Is there a way to remove any limit to the number of instances of image fields used within a profile? Is this limit created by CB or is it some other parameter somewhere else other than the php.ini settings?

Thanks!

Are you trying/testing to upload more than one such image during a single profile edit?
This might account for some issues.

What exactly do you mean by "quit working"?

CB version?
Joomla version?

9 years 4 months ago #252181 by sylvanr
Replied by sylvanr on topic What limits image uploads in profile?
When I say "quite working," I mean that after a certain number of pics on any one profile, more pics can not be uploaded. The limit seems to be about 15 pics on any one profile.

I am trying to upload pics one at a time at this point. The user logs on to their profile to edit their profile. They upload pics into the image fields in their profile. After they have uploaded 15 pics into image fields on their individual profile, they are not able to upload to any of the other remaining image fields within their profile. (BUT They ARE able to go back and edit a pic they have already uploaded.

The user can REPLACE previous uploads to image fields they have already uploaded to, but can not add a NEW pic in a BLANK image field . They can replace a pic they have already uploaded but just not able to upload a new pic in a blank field. That's why it seems to be some limitation of memory?

The CB Profile I have created has about 150 fields. About twenty-five of those fields are image fields. I have a few test "users." The profiles work fine for each user. Each user is able to fill out their profile for the most part, except for image fields. Each user can upload pics into various image fields until they have uploaded about 15 pics into 15 of the 25 image fields available on their profile. After those 15 pics have been uploaded, when the user tries to upload another pic into one of the unused image fields, the upload fails. It appears there is a limit to the number of image fields that can be used on any one profile? Once the user has used about 15 of the image fields, they are not able to upload any more pics to the remaining image fields.

Another way to say the same thing: I have image field 1, image field 2, image field 3, image field 4, image field 5, image field 6, image field 7, image field 8, image field 9, image field 10, image field 11, image field 12, image field 13, image field 14, image field 15, image field 16, image field 17, image field 18, image field 19, image field 20, image field 21, image field 22, image field 22, image field 23, image field 24, and image field 25. The user uploads pics to any 15 of these image fields and the uploads to their profiles work fine. The order of the image fields used doesn't matter. Any 15 of the image fields will work fine. Then they try to upload a 16th picture in a 16th image field and the upload fails. They are not able to upload to any more of the image fields in the profile.

What I tried: When I first ran into this problem, the limit seemed to be about 10 pics for each user. I tried increasing the php.ini memory_limit and the php.ini post_max_size which I thought had resolved the problem since I was able to upload a couple more pics on each profile. Now the limit seems to be 15 pics and it doesn't matter if I increase the php.ini memory_limit and the php.ini post_max_size at this point. Nothing I do seems to allow more image field uploads.

What I am wondering: Does CB limit to the number of image fields that can be used on a profile?

If you don't think it is CB, what else might be causing this limitation? I increased the php.ini parameters as I said previously: memory_limit to 1000M and the post_max_size to 1000M.

Any ideas on what might be limiting the image uploads in CB?

9 years 4 months ago #252184 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic What limits image uploads in profile?
At 150 fields you probably hit database size limits. The only way to fix that is change your database engine to InnoDB and change the image fields column type to text instead of varchar. CB 2.0 can fix this automatically by running the strict fieldtypes tool within CB > Tools (like in Check Community Builder User Fields Database tool description). Aside from that I'm unsure what to suggest as CB has no such image upload limitation.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #252624 by sylvanr
Replied by sylvanr on topic What limits image uploads in profile?
I upgraded to CB 2.0 and did "Check Community Builder User Fields Database" as you instructed. That all seemed to go fine. It found a lot of things to fix and fixed them.

I still had problems with uploading images but this time, I created a new fake user with a blank profile and did not upload any pics in the fields that had already worked with other user profiles. Previously, it seemed like it would stop allowing uploads after 15 images had been uploaded into 15 fields in a profile. This time, I didn't upload to those same fields and went straight to the 16th field to try and upload an image in the 16th and 17th image fields. Even without the first fifteen uploaded and ALL other image fields blank, the 16th and 17th image fields would still not upload a pic? Hm. Can't figure it out. The problem seems to be specific image fields on specific tabs. I don't think it is a memory problem at this point since I have increased the php.ini parameters anyway and that didn't make any difference and now I can see it does the same thing with a blank profile with no other image fields filled- so it is maxing out-- it seems to be a problem with the last few image fields I had created. I scrutinized each of those to see what was different about those but they all look okay. I am totally perplexed.

You say that CB does not limit the number of image fields on any one profile? Is there any limit to the number of tabs? Any limitations you can think of? Or anyone reading this can think of??

Thanks!

9 years 4 months ago #252658 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic What limits image uploads in profile?
You need to run the strict field types tool. It's in the description of the "Check Community Builder User Fields Database" tool. This will convert multiple fields to type text from varchar to free up database column size. Beyond that I've no idea why a specific field wouldn't upload. It doesn't give any errors? Just goes to profile view with a success message?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn