ShipPlotting.com Dynamic Google Maps Plotting

16 years 10 months ago #37604 by chelby
Hello,

Well, I have sort of mashed up Joomla, Community Builder, SMF, and Google Maps with dynamic data feeds from my users. The site is located at:

www.shipplotting.com

The data comes from AIS receiver stations all around the world and we filter the feeds to display it on maps the users can setup themselves. Users upload their data using shipplotter software. Our users are tracking a steady 200 ships world wide on a continuous basis.

The community builder didn't 100% satisfy my needs, but it came close enough that I will continue to use it.

The site is free and and anyone can start tracking ships that lives within about 25 miles of the ocean.

AIS is the Automated Identification System used internationally and was designed to provide safety at sea for large ships as well as passenger vessels.

If you are interested in learning how you can start tracking ships in your area, please visit our Joomla site to learn more.

www.shipplotting.com
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 10 months ago #37605 by chelby
And the support found here at joomlapolis has been pretty good overall.

Aric

16 years 8 months ago #40572 by maddunr
awesome mashup there chelby!! :) Congratulations!

Would you be willing to share info about your site here? I am especially interested in knowing how to incorporate CB custom fields into the google maps component.

I see a couple of new components on your web site - com_geo_community and com_shipspotting. I am assuming the second one is something you created yourself.

I would very much like to have my registered users show up on google maps (something that com_google_maps does already) with their CB profile details showing (something that com_google_maps cannot do, yet.).

Any info you can provide will be greatly useful.

Thanks,
V

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn