CB vs Joomunity? :)

16 years 1 month ago #58912 by radio
Replied by radio on topic Re:CB vs Joomunity? :)
It looks very impressive from what iv seen. The way cb should have tried to be all along.

Interested in improving Joomla as a social networking platform? If yes join joomlaplazza.com
The topic has been locked.
16 years 16 hours ago #61444 by RONHARD
Replied by RONHARD on topic Re:CB vs Joomunity? :)
Joomunity seems to have it all in one component -
Ofcource there will be created a lot of extentions when it will be released some day.

It seems to be clean and very easy to manage, what CB is not until a lot of things are implementated.

To be honest, i will use the Joomunity, as i´m not an expert in using Joomla and CB and need it to be as easy as possible.

As i also can see with CB, i have to buy some of the plugins, and it goes against my religion in the matter of Open Source. I know ofcource that people have to live and all that, but it is absolutely irritating to buy things, that does not live up to what it says it will !!!

If i can come up with a good advise for you guys, i will start trying to do something simular as Livingstone, and make it more easy to manage and use. I am sure all in CB are just fine, but still i keep away as long as it is so difficult as it is now.

Keep up the spirit

Best regards
15 years 10 months ago #63843 by Oxy
Replied by Oxy on topic Re:CB vs Joomunity? :)
OMG !!!

Take a look at this...

drstonyhills.com/

Hopes that CB1.2 can live up to this....

I know, there havent been any news about Joomunity for a loooooog time, but look at the new pictures....

- Oxy
15 years 7 months ago #73633 by fazee
Replied by fazee on topic Re:CB vs Joomunity? :)
I think Joomunity is much better i am going to switch as soon as i learn how to make extensions for Joomunity, their guides are going to be released soon!

CB should take some inspiration from Joomunity!

Thanks
15 years 7 months ago #73976 by laerti
Replied by laerti on topic Re:CB vs Joomunity? :)
hello ive used community builder for about 1 year and im ok with it, but when i saw joomunity i migrated to it directly even in beta release. the latest version in jommunity site was made in 28 august i think, and corrects so much bugs, but there are some other problems, like the foto galery, etc, but still in development, for an alfa release is perfect, perfect grafics, smart idea for the plugins, template design, i think for about some months the component would take the first place in joomla about coomunity components. sorry for my english

you can test it here

www.2tinguj.com
15 years 6 months ago #76234 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:CB vs Joomunity? :)
Hmm.. interesting, but no thanks.

I mean no offense to the creators of joomunity, but there's no way in hell I'd switch from a stable platform to an ALPHA.

If you have a live site. You advance your live site. You don't destroy it and rebuild. That ticks people off.

I've put too many hours into my CB site to even think of redoing it with another platform.

The thing that people don't understand is CB is VERY VERY flexible. The problem is amateurs expect to hop in and make a full blown myspace style community site with a few clicks.

That's not going to happen.

Thankfully there's people like me who make plugins for those very uses and make it easier on the point and click folks.

The bottom line is if you want a quality social network. You're going to have to work for it.

CB has provided an INCREDIBLE platform. The plugin capability and integration system is very very expansive.

I've literally weaved my entire site into CB. Everything you do affects or relates to CB in some way.

I've joined and reviewed every major social networking site. I've taken ALL their feature sets and merged them into 1. I literally have it all. Ok not it all. I'm missing stuff like MyspaceApps, but I'm working on an API for that, lol.

I see a lot of people complain about the layout of CB. What's the problem? You can change the entire layout via CSS or make it easier on your users by making fields to change specific things with a simple plugin.

I've made my profiles fully customizable aside from moving tabs around as I do not want that to be possible, YET. I've achieved this with a tiny copy and paste core hack and about 20 fields. TADA! Colors, Background, etc..

Everyone wants the easy route to a social network, but there is no easy route. I don't mean to come off rude, but I'm trying to be as straight forward and blunt as I can be. It's a LOT of work.

Joomunity does look very promising, but when can we expect a highly functional stable release? 1 maybe 2 years? I'm sorry, but I can't sit around HOPING for 1 glorious day. This is now. Not then and now is CB.

Then you also have to consider in that time frame. How far will CB have advanced? CB is moving at a good pace and with lots of community support.

Some ajax here and there and we'd have floating tabs that users can move around as they see fit. The possibilities are endless. You can implement all these changes WITHOUT the help of the CB team. This is all doable within the system it self.

It takes lots and lots of work and dedication. Don't jump ship on CB, because some ALPHA component shows up.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn