[Solved] Non-hashed password emailed to imported user, but hashed password is NOT sent

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #246573 by MacPhotoBiker
Hi,

I prepared a csv list to import users, and all works fine, but I have an issue with the password.

When I use a clear text password (like abcdef), the password imports properly, and it is sent in the welcome email to the member.

However, when I use the hashed password (as generated here: www.miraclesalad.com/webtools/md5.php), then the password is NOT sent in the welcome email. However, the password works, i. e. the user can log in with the password "abcdef"

I ticked the checkbox "You must use appropriately HASHED passwords... " when importing with hashed password, and unticked when importing clear text password, so that's not an issue.

How can I import a hashed password, and have it sent to the user in the welcome email?

Or would it be safe to import clear text passwords? (I'm generating random passwords for the users.)

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 9 months ago #246575 by wolverton
You can't. The hashed password is hashed for a reason -- it cannot be calculated from the hash.
Either create new passwords with a randomizer function, or include instructions for resetting the password.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MacPhotoBiker

9 years 9 months ago #246576 by MacPhotoBiker
Thanks a lot for clarifying, that answers my question. I'll just generate random passwords, that will do the trick.

Thank you!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 1.442 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn