Importing some fields with empty values

5 years 8 months ago #306620 by artery
Hi

I am trying to regularly import large amounts of updates to member details, so in the Excel/csv file some field areas will have data and others not.
Is there a way to import empty fields/cells without the empty fields erasing existing data?
So that all fields/cells with values will overwrite existing values, but empty cells will not overwrite existing values.

I looked around for similar questions and hope I am not missing something painfully obvious.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #306627 by wolverton
Replied by wolverton on topic Importing some fields with empty values
You could download the database and do the merge externally and then reload with CBJUICE.

or ... if you don't have very many fields with changes, you could do an edit run for each field with only the users that have changes for that field.

This is something we might look at in the next version for Joomla 4.0 ... an option to prevent overwrite when a field is blank.

5 years 8 months ago #306628 by artery
Replied by artery on topic Importing some fields with empty values
Thank you very much wolverton, that will be great.

Mine is a case where additional member details are harvested externally on an ongoing basis,
which then need to be updated regularly in bulk, with empty values not deleting existing data.

There are about 30 fields each time, which we have to currently break up into separate uploads, as you mentioned.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn