CB and Joomfish

17 years 7 months ago #20470 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:CB and Joomfish
nant wrote:

so you have extended CB to handle a different type of select field. In this case you are right that my suggestion would not help.

This is what I call extended selects plugin. Just load some javascript to the tabs and do a bit of extra processing onbeforeupdate. Quite usefull

I will probably publish new versions sometime soon to the downloads.

mikko

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 7 months ago #20473 by elkuku
Replied by elkuku on topic Re:CB and Joomfish

Making a component fishable is much easier than most people think.

yeah, writing the xml files is quite easy, I wrote them for those components. Beleave me, the components mentioned are not suitable to translate with the fish at present point of development :)

I mailed every developer, posted in forums, 'hacked' the code and so on... and after all you will end up with hardcoding langfiles.

OK, it's a long way to go.. let's make small steps. ;)

Nikolai www.NiK-IT.de

17 years 7 months ago #20475 by elkuku
Replied by elkuku on topic Re:CB and Joomfish
quote BEAT(can someone tell me how to quote ¿¿)

Nick's solution has the big advantage that replies are the same independantly of language.

if you refer to "systemmails in multilanguage environments" you are damn right... this is a big headache at present point.

btw.. let me kiss your feet for the quick fixes you made for several componets to let them run without joomlas register_globals emulation.

EXCELLENT WORK !

Nikolai www.NiK-IT.de

17 years 7 months ago #20482 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:CB and Joomfish
elkuku wrote:

quote BEAT(can someone tell me how to quote ¿¿)

Nick's solution has the big advantage that replies are the same independantly of language.

if you refer to "systemmails in multilanguage environments" you are damn right... this is a big headache at present point.

btw.. let me kiss your feet for the quick fixes you made for several componets to let them run without joomlas register_globals emulation.

EXCELLENT WORK !

- Quoting multiple posts: Just press "quote", open it in other window, copy content, paste in your post. ;)

- Thanks. Just simply shared the solutions found for making Joomlapolis and other sites run with register_globals off. Actually i got many testers-feedbacks back, which allowed me to quickly complete the fixes... B) ...power of community & open-source ;)

- Yes, system-mails, and many other things are not yet treated by the fish. We have been postponing all language-related work in CB until the new, better, languages API and UTF-8 standard of Joomla 1.5 comes into effect. So yes, we need to live in a world of compromises. I hope that Fish 2.0 for Joomla 1.5 will also hook into that API. Does somebody have a thread URL for that discussion ? if not, maybe worthwile to ask in 1.5 dev forum.

mikko wrote:

nant wrote:

I would setup all selectable or multi-selectable field values as language strings.
So, if for example you have a multiselect field for languages you should setup the allowable values (when defining the CB field) as _UE_LANG_1, _UE_LANG_2, etc. Then just add these values with the correct translations to your language files.

This is a solution, but for my use (and perhaps many other) joomfish translation would be much better. The reason for this is that I have select fields which that can accept new values entered by users. For some selects there is an option called "new.." and selecting that option triggers a prompt asking for a new value. These values then go to aproval and translation work flow where the administrator needs to do a bit of work for them. For the people that do this work on one of my sites, it is much easier to translate with joomfish than hardcode each translation to a language file every time someone enters a new value.

It would be possible to make a component which cretes translations to the language file, but this would be a potential security risk and much more work than making the fields work with ids rather than titles.

-Mikko

- Agree that JoomFish allows centralization of translations management in one place, which is desirable.

- Actually, why wouldn't you implement your own multi-select field type in your plugin instead of relying on CB's, so the translations would be handled by JoomFish ? would take another 2 hours for you B) . But keep in mind to store unique ids or keywords for answers, to be able to treat them independantly of language ;)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

17 years 7 months ago #20484 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:CB and Joomfish
beat wrote:

- Actually, why wouldn't you implement your own multi-select field type in your plugin instead of relying on CB's, so the translations would be handled by JoomFish ? would take another 2 hours for you B) . But keep in mind to store unique ids or keywords for answers, to be able to treat them independantly of language ;)

Last time i checked custom field types were not possible in the CB api. Do you think that there was another way around?

mikko

17 years 6 months ago #22773 by robert101083
Replied by robert101083 on topic Re:CB and Joomfish
Intresting topic guys!!

I have some aditional fieds in my registration form. Is the a way to translate the labels in front of the fiels?

Greetz,

Robert

Moderators: beatnantgeefflandkrileon
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn