CB and Joomfish

17 years 6 months ago #20463 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:CB and Joomfish
mikko wrote:

I have not tested the files with field values. (I will need to do this later, though).

Now that I think of it, it is quite likely that field values cannot be easily translated fith the fish. The selects will probably translate well after removing the bugs taht you pointed out. However, the chosen values are saved to the comprofiler table in the following format: title1|*|title2|*|title3, and renderes by exploding the string. This process does not involve using the field_values table and hence joomfish cannot translate.

I made a feature request a long time ago, but it was rejected. Perhaps time to reopen?

forge.joomla.org/sf/go/artf2445?nav=1

mikko

mikko,
I would setup all selectable or multi-selectable field values as language strings.
So, if for example you have a multiselect field for languages you should setup the allowable values (when defining the CB field) as _UE_LANG_1, _UE_LANG_2, etc. Then just add these values with the correct translations to your language files.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 6 months ago #20465 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:CB and Joomfish
Nick's solution has the big advantage that replies are the same independantly of language.

Mikko's solution is the way to go in a future major release when we change the database structure.

For backwards compatibility reasons, I would recommend using Nick's solution with CB's present language handling capabilities.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

17 years 6 months ago #20466 by elkuku
Replied by elkuku on topic Re:CB and Joomfish
Nant,
shure this would be the last option to "save the project". But it's not the idea of the fish as you have to do your translations in different places.

I think this is a general problem with the fish. As this post is linked from the forge i like to express that I had problems with "custom values" (combined) in fields, when trying to translate them in some components like facile forms, uhp, noahs classifieds, CB which are still not fishable.

Nikolai www.NiK-IT.de

17 years 6 months ago #20467 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:CB and Joomfish
nant wrote:

I would setup all selectable or multi-selectable field values as language strings.
So, if for example you have a multiselect field for languages you should setup the allowable values (when defining the CB field) as _UE_LANG_1, _UE_LANG_2, etc. Then just add these values with the correct translations to your language files.

This is a solution, but for my use (and perhaps many other) joomfish translation would be much better. The reason for this is that I have select fields which that can accept new values entered by users. For some selects there is an option called "new.." and selecting that option triggers a prompt asking for a new value. These values then go to aproval and translation work flow where the administrator needs to do a bit of work for them. For the people that do this work on one of my sites, it is much easier to translate with joomfish than hardcode each translation to a language file every time someone enters a new value.

It would be possible to make a component which cretes translations to the language file, but this would be a potential security risk and much more work than making the fields work with ids rather than titles.

-Mikko

17 years 6 months ago #20468 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:CB and Joomfish
mikko wrote:

nant wrote:

This is a solution, but for my use (and perhaps many other) joomfish translation would be much better. The reason for this is that I have select fields which that can accept new values entered by users. For some selects there is an option called "new.." and selecting that option triggers a prompt asking for a new value. These values then go to aproval and translation work flow where the administrator needs to do a bit of work for them. For the people that do this work on one of my sites, it is much easier to translate with joomfish than hardcode each translation to a language file every time someone enters a new value.

It would be possible to make a component which cretes translations to the language file, but this would be a potential security risk and much more work than making the fields work with ids rather than titles.

-Mikko

Mikko,
so you have extended CB to handle a different type of select field. In this case you are right that my suggestion would not help.

17 years 6 months ago #20469 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:CB and Joomfish
elkuku wrote:

I think this is a general problem with the fish. As this post is linked from the forge i like to express that I had problems with "custom values" (combined) in fields, when trying to translate them in some components like facile forms, uhp, noahs classifieds, CB which are still not fishable.

Making a component fishable is much easier than most people think. It took me roughly 2 hours to make the xml files and code modifications after I decided that this needed to be done. And this was the first "serious contact" with me and the fish. I recommend that you read the links in my first post and just try making an xml file for these components.

mikko

Moderators: beatnantgeefflandkrileon
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn