[SOLVED] use of auto for opt-in to groups at registration?

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #177581 by CherryRed
I have read the documentation, 'done my homework' - as defined in the documentation and have searched. I am still stuck, and a little surprised there is no tutorial or documentation beyond the basic 'how to install' - documentation on 'how do I?...' would be most helpful, or video tuts like the youtube quicsite videotutorials - without which I wouldn't have even considered using community builder. Sorry for the long intro - feel better for saying that

I am using J1.5 CB1.7 GJ2.3 and here goes....

I do not understand how 'field management' under CB can be made to relate to the 'groups' under GJ

I am developing a new site, and wish to give new registrants the chance to opt-in to groups (which teams they belong to) at registration. I can set a field called teams of a multicheckbox type and set it to show at registration - I'm not sure if this is a good start or irrelevant. :blush:

I also wish to set up the GJ such that users within a particular group can send a message which will be deliverd to all that group by email - no idea where to configure that.

Lastly (for now,) I'd love some detail on how to control the 'panels' on the frontend of GJ. At the moment it is far too complicated for the intended users, to whom 'group menu' 'category overview' 'overview menu' and 'my panel' will be alarming and unfriendly. I think what I want (its an iterative process) is just 1 possibility for the overview panel set displaying the names of the teams (a group level overview, no possibility of navigating back to a category level overview), and 1 set of panels of the 'my panel' variety. And to be able to toggle between just those 2 types of panel, so that users can't 'lose how to get to the bit that says my panel.' I'd like those panel sets to be called something like 'my teams' and 'church teams'.

I'm sorry to be having to ask for what seem like basic things in the forum, but I'm afraid it was not 'self evident' to me how to set the back end parameters. Maybe any replies will one day go into some tutorials.... ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #177661 by CherryRed
PS
having recovered from my frustration with the documentation (sorry :blush:) I have found how to use overide parameters to rename the panels

the other questions remain the same

I look forward to any replies or pointers in the right direction

thankyou

12 years 6 months ago #177738 by krileon

I do not understand how 'field management' under CB can be made to relate to the 'groups' under GJ

Field management has absolutely no relation to GJ except for the "formatname" field must be visible on profile and on a public and published tab. Tab can be in a not shown on profile position if you like.

I am developing a new site, and wish to give new registrants the chance to opt-in to groups (which teams they belong to) at registration. I can set a field called teams of a multicheckbox type and set it to show at registration - I'm not sure if this is a good start or irrelevant.

You'll need to install the GJ Auto Integration included with GJ 2.3-2.4, which will provide a field for users to select what group they'd like to join automatically at registration. This is done better with GJ 2.4 compared to 2.3.

I also wish to set up the GJ such that users within a particular group can send a message which will be deliverd to all that group by email - no idea where to configure that.

GJ 2.3 has a message feature but only group owner and group admins can use it. GJ 2.4 will allow you to change the permission so group users can use it however.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #177793 by CherryRed
I did indeed see and install the GJ auto 23 - but I am rather new, and need please an explanation on how this 'provides a field for users to chose what groups they join at registration' - it is not obvious to me, probably from lack of experience

Please can you point me to documentation on how to use the message feature of 2.3, or provide some instructions.

GJ2.4 is not an option for us - the website is for a church, so even joining as an advanced member was pushing the boat out in terms or our it budget

Thank you,

12 years 6 months ago #177794 by CherryRed
Also, I see I should have been posting in the advanced members forum, not this one.

If it would be advantageous, please would you move this thread?

Thanks

12 years 6 months ago #177801 by krileon

I did indeed see and install the GJ auto 23 - but I am rather new, and need please an explanation on how this 'provides a field for users to chose what groups they join at registration' - it is not obvious to me, probably from lack of experience

Navigate to CB > Field Management and you should have a new field on the Contact Info tab for GJ Auto. It's disabled by default.

Please can you point me to documentation on how to use the message feature of 2.3, or provide some instructions.

There is none at the moment. Only install documentation is provided, which is included with the GJ package.

GJ2.4 is not an option for us - the website is for a church, so even joining as an advanced member was pushing the boat out in terms or our it budget

Stable release of GJ 2.4 will be made available to Advanced and Professional alike. Only professional subscribers are provided "first-look" releases. So you'll have latest available in due time. We're working to test and prepare a stable very soon.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn