[SOLVED] use of auto for opt-in to groups at registration?

12 years 6 months ago #177854 by CherryRed
thank you for the quick reply.

When I navigate to CB > Field Management I do not see any tabs, for contact info or otherwise. I see (what I think are called) tabs when I navigate to CB > configuration, called general, registration, user list etc. Am I mistaking what you mean by tabs?

WRT the message feature of 2.3, that's fine that there is no documentation currently. But please could you (or anyone) give some help on how to enable this feature, because I can't see how to do it.

I look forward to 2.4 being released for all members, to enable communication within groups by email.

Is there another way I could set up emails within certain subsections of the community, say by using lists? I'm guessing the answer is no?

Until 2.4 is available I'm starting to think GJ is too complicated for our church community. With the CB core, is it possible to set up a tab that allows all the community members to email all the other members, and again, if so how please? (I have searched the forums, but everyone seems to more proficient than me as I can't find basic info like that)Do I need to add the plugin CB mailing? At the very least, can I easily replicate something like a yahoo group

I would be sad if we had to stick with using a yahoo group, which is how the church community contacts each other, as it would be more newcomer friendly to be able to join up via the church website, and with potential to become more refined with subgroups eventually. I was planning to integrate CB with JEvents which is running happily. These would be good reasons to keep developing with comunity builder, but I am beginning to lose heart :( I only have 2 weeks before the site goes live and don't want to give up on CB yet

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #177872 by krileon

When I navigate to CB > Field Management I do not see any tabs, for contact info or otherwise. I see (what I think are called) tabs when I navigate to CB > configuration, called general, registration, user list etc. Am I mistaking what you mean by tabs?

No an actual physical tab, but the tab column in field management. You may have changed it from Contact Info, but the basis is still the same.. the field will be there.

WRT the message feature of 2.3, that's fine that there is no documentation currently. But please could you (or anyone) give some help on how to enable this feature, because I can't see how to do it.

Create a group then have users join and on the menu to the left click Message Users.

Is there another way I could set up emails within certain subsections of the community, say by using lists? I'm guessing the answer is no?

Nope.

With the CB core, is it possible to set up a tab that allows all the community members to email all the other members, and again, if so how please? (I have searched the forums, but everyone seems to more proficient than me as I can't find basic info like that)Do I need to add the plugin CB mailing? At the very least, can I easily replicate something like a yahoo group

CB has a built in email form. Simply navigate to CB > Configuration and enable it. Then on frontend login and view another users profile and on the CB Menu there should be a link to send them an email. Alternatively clicking the "Send Email" link in the "Email" field when viewing a profile will also do the same. This is explained in better detail within CBs documentation available for download in Advanced downloads section.

GJ is your only solution for groups that is designed around CB. There maybe other solutions via 3rd party extensions at Joomla.org.

I would be sad if we had to stick with using a yahoo group, which is how the church community contacts each other, as it would be more newcomer friendly to be able to join up via the church website, and with potential to become more refined with subgroups eventually. I was planning to integrate CB with JEvents which is running happily. These would be good reasons to keep developing with comunity builder, but I am beginning to lose heart I only have 2 weeks before the site goes live and don't want to give up on CB yet

Sorry, I really don't know what more to advise. As GJ grows and gains more features it becomes a bit more complex. The basics of GJ are quite simple, create frontend URL, add categories, add groups, join groups, then interact. However, GJ Auto is the most complex integration available for GJ so you've started at a rather high point in the learning curve. I recommend becoming familiar with Joomla, CB, and GJ in general before tackling some of the more complex usages (after all your site can receive new features with time! users love that!).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #177889 by CherryRed
Bear with me....

So I have found a way to do what I wanted with the CB core using lists and the plugin CBmailing, ie create lists of different teams within the church, then setup permissions within CBmailing to enable whichever groups(lists) to email whichever other groups.

So it is possible to setup emails within subsections of the community using lists, and a free plugin.

Gocha with what you meant by tab, I didn't twig you were meaning tab in the CB sense of tab.
Nevertheless, in field management, looking at what fields are on the contact info tab, there is no GJ auto - your guess would be better than mine about what I've done wrong.

I am comfortable with learning curves, I like a challenge...
I am already familiar with joomla, and have an increasing grasp of CB

However to become familiar with GJ without documentation is a tall order, which is why I was requesting support.

I am familiar with the basics of GJ as you define them, I have created 4 (for testing) of the groups that we require, got the frontend url(s) for them, wish that I didn't have to have categories and groups as we only need a one not two level hierarchy but will have to live with that, can allow registered users to join the groups.

So I think, given that I've progressed rapidly and grasped 'the basics' that it is reasonable to ask for a little step-by-step help on the bits where I've become stuck.

I still would like please step-by-step on how to allow users to choose groups at the time of registration. And also, what needs configuring to order to show Message Users on the menu on the left of GJ frontend - it isn't there for me and I reckon it might take you a couple of minutes to suggest what might take me hours to find.

If you are not happy to help me solve these 2 issues, please would you pass on my respectful and disappointed request for a refund of my advanced membership.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #177988 by krileon
GJ 2.4 stable has released and is available for download in the Advanced downloads section. I highly recommend upgrading.

So I have found a way to do what I wanted with the CB core using lists and the plugin CBmailing, ie create lists of different teams within the church, then setup permissions within CBmailing to enable whichever groups(lists) to email whichever other groups.

So it is possible to setup emails within subsections of the community using lists, and a free plugin.

Aah, nice! Thank you for sharing your solution. :)

I still would like please step-by-step on how to allow users to choose groups at the time of registration. And also, what needs configuring to order to show Message Users on the menu on the left of GJ frontend - it isn't there for me and I reckon it might take you a couple of minutes to suggest what might take me hours to find.

So much going on I gave instructions for previous releases of GJ 2.x :blush:. Below would be the proper steps
  1. Install GJ 2.3/2.4
  2. Enabled GJ 2.3/2.4 from Plugin Management
  3. Install GJ 2.3/2.4 Auto Integration
  4. Enabled GJ 2.3/2.4 from Plugin Management
  5. Navigate to Field Management
  6. Click "New Field"
  7. Select type "Auto Join"

The above will provide you with an auto join field which you can place wherever you like as well as create as many as you like.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #177996 by CherryRed
Thank you, it sure must be tricky remembering all the different versions in your head and developing at same time. Not to mention having to field slightly grumpy forum posts from newbies ;) probably the last thing you need.

Great to hear GJ2.4 is out

Thanks for the corrected steps, will follow those and explore the way it works, sounds straightforward from there. Will post new thread if get stuck and need quick pointer.

Looking forward to a happier experience of joomlapolis from here on, thanks for bearing with me while I got started.

12 years 6 months ago #178048 by CherryRed
Kyle,

I'm sorry, this still isn't working for me.

I had already followed steps 1-4, see attached pic I have done not been daft - have got GJ and GJauto installed, enabled, public access.

When I navigate to field management the only types available are
Check box single / multiple
Date
Drop down single/multiple
Email
Editor text area
Text area
Text field
Integer number
Radio buttons
Web address
Password
Fields delimiter

I checked if any of these are what is required by unpublishing GJ auto and looking to see if any field types were lost - but no change.

I also tried creating an auto (off the GJ cpanel)- but it look like this does not do what I want, it either forces all users into a group (useful for an all members group) or it creates a new group/category for each new sign up, am I right? I don't want that, I want all members of the 'coffee rota' etc to join the same group as each other.

I def want the field type 'auto join' in order to display it at registration, right?

Would be grateful for a speedy answer if possible, I think it must be something easy that I have missed. Thanks
Attachments:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.350 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn