no popup notifications

12 years 10 months ago #165967 by cbrace
no popup notifications was created by cbrace
Hi Slabbi,

I have been using UddeIM (currently v2.4) on my site for awhile now and my users are quite happy with it. There is one thing I need to fix, though: popup notifications. Many people do not notice the Private messages link in Kunena, because it is rather small and discrete, and as a result PMs go unread.

First, in Admin/integration, popups are on turned, and are on by default.

Next, the module settings are configured as recommended in the FAQ, the latest version of which I have in front of me. (Enabled, no output, DHTML floating box.)

To test it, I log into a test account, PM my main account, and login again to the my main one. No popup.

I have quite a few extensions installed, and I have encountered conflicts (javascript?) in the past with these kinds of things, so on a test server, with only Joomla 1.6.3 installed (no extensions), I installed UddePM, also v2.4 stable, likewise configured as above.

I repeat the test. Alas, no popups here either.

For browsers, I am using the latest stable releases of Google Chrome and Firefox, both under Linux (x86_64).

Am I missing a piece of the puzzle here?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago #166006 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Re: no popup notifications
Have you tried the checklist from the FAQ?

Maybe popup notifications are not enabled in the user profile (uddeIM frontend->settings)?

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #166018 by cbrace
Replied by cbrace on topic Re: no popup notifications
I am looking at the error console in Firefox, but I don't see anything useful yet.

Perhaps if I got a better idea of how it works this might help:

When exactly is a popup displayed?

Every time there are unread PMs in your inbox?

When you log in?

When you visit the Joomla site?

Only once when it is sent?

I have two-week login expires, so if they are only displayed the moment a user logs in, that is not so useful for us.

Thanks

12 years 10 months ago #166170 by cbrace
Alas, I've had no luck with popups :( My only option is to try to make the Private Messages line slightly more prominent with CSS.

12 years 10 months ago #166176 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Re: no popup notifications
You need mod_uddeim published on the page you want to see the popups. There are also some templates which break the popup mechanism because they use timer events for their own purpose.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

12 years 10 months ago #166199 by cbrace
OK, it works now. Your latest reply put me on the right path.

The problem appears to have been that I had did not "assign it to any menus". Once I did that, the popup appears on the pages I have selected (see below).

For those of you working with Joomla full-time, this may be entirely self-evident, but to me, as part-time webmaster, it is not exactly intuitive.

In any case, thanks slabbi; I am happy I now have this working.

Attachments:

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn