smf plugin

17 years 9 months ago #18377 by Brat
Replied by Brat on topic Re:Brat's Plugin
smeallum wrote:

Hey AlphaSuperDooperBrat...

Will i as an admin be able to choose to hide that link to users, so only me will see it when i get into a user's CB Profile??

Cheers,
NiCo

Hmm... you know, I hadn't thought of that.

This is really something each administrator should decide. There are many legitimate reasons to allow a member to access his/her profile (i.e., signature and other information). So, this should be implemented using some sort of boolean (i.e., "If NOT AdminOnly, then"). Ideally, this would be done by allowing an admin to set this as a parameter in the backend.

Because I'm very new to CB's plugin structure (this is my first plugin EVER) I'd have to read up on how to set parameters and how they are passed to the actual plugin.

So, it can be done... the question is how (and whether I can learn to code parameters properly). :blink:

What the heck... I'll see if it can be done. :P

Regards,
Brat.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 9 months ago #18384 by slamit93
Replied by slamit93 on topic Re:Brat's Plugin
is all of this stuff going into a tab?

Ideally, I think the best place would be if there was an easy way to add it to the menu (which I think is generally up top) under the edit profile option... I don't know however whether that is possible.

If not, I would say to put it where you want it... lol, I can't log in to my website from this computer (amazed I was able to get into this site) so I'm having trouble visualizing all of this.

17 years 9 months ago #18413 by Brat
slamit93 wrote:

is all of this stuff going into a tab?

Ideally, I think the best place would be if there was an easy way to add it to the menu (which I think is generally up top) under the edit profile option... I don't know however whether that is possible.

If not, I would say to put it where you want it... lol, I can't log in to my website from this computer (amazed I was able to get into this site) so I'm having trouble visualizing all of this.

Um... yeah. B)

Sorry I didn't make it clear. The plugins will be tabbed.

Yes, there is more than one. To try to put posts and profile information all in one tab made things too cluttered.

Just to show you what this looks like currently, here are actual screenshots for the plugins. Due to upload problems (can't get an image to upload here), I had to upload the shots to one of my actual live sites. Here are the links:

www.soulofthejedi.net/samples/CB-SMF_posts.png
www.soulofthejedi.net/samples/CB-SMF_profile.png

Still doing a bit of code cleanup and making aesthetic improvements, but so far so good. I use SMF's actual language codes (i.e., the $txt[xx] tags), so this should help ensure multi-lingual friendliness.

Regards,
Brat.

Post edited by: Brat, at: 2006/08/08 18:13

Post edited by: Brat, at: 2006/08/08 18:15

17 years 9 months ago #18414 by smeallum
Replied by smeallum on topic Re:Brat's Plugin
Hey Brat...Your .PNG's look very promising...they seem to display exactly what you said you were up to. Congrats :)

I have a few comments to make already. Of course i do this coments based on the fact that you seem open to receive them ;) You don't have to do anything with them necessarily. The fact that you are willing to share what you have been doing is allready something to thank you about.

1) The Karma, Posts and maybe the position, i think they should be displayed directly on the main display of the CB profile, same as Joomlaboard plugin does. This is is because it's info that speaks right away for the seniority/status of the user, and it's some piece of info that it might be best ot display right away.

2) It would definetely be coolest than cooler to have not only a tab with the latest posts that the user has made, but also a tab(maybe this one only viewable by the owner of the profile. I thik the admin can make certain tabs viewable by the owner can't he?) with the threads that that user is subscribed to. The actual Joomlaboard integration has that now, i am sure you has seen it already in Communitiy Builder. It's very cool to have one place to track/manage threads that you are subscribed to ;-)

Cheers and thanks for your openness to receive input :P
And congrats for what you are achieving!!!

17 years 9 months ago #18415 by smeallum
Replied by smeallum on topic Re:Brat's Plugin
And in reply to user slamit93(open question to everybody)...Am i wrong in that the administrator can decide wether all that is displayed in a separate tab or in one of the several other ways, like in the menu, etc...?

Anyway, i am definetely for having it in tabs ;)

Cheers,
NiCo

17 years 9 months ago #18424 by Brat
Hello, Smeallum. I'll address each of your points separately to make sure I understand you correctly.

1) The Karma, Posts and maybe the position, i think they should be displayed directly on the main display of the CB profile, same as Joomlaboard plugin does. This is is because it's info that speaks right away for the seniority/status of the user, and it's some piece of info that it might be best ot display right away.

If I'm reading this correctly, you want the Karma and Position (maybe even post group?) to be displayed in the main CB profile area (i.e., with the online status). If so, then I'll need to break these out as their own separate plugins so they can be put into that position. I could do this as an "extra" for those who want it as well as leave them in the main Forum Profile tab as they are currently. This shouldn't be terribly hard to do, as the code to pull the information is already done.

2) It would definetely be coolest than cooler to have not only a tab with the latest posts that the user has made, but also a tab(maybe this one only viewable by the owner of the profile. I thik the admin can make certain tabs viewable by the owner can't he?) with the threads that that user is subscribed to. The actual Joomlaboard integration has that now, i am sure you has seen it already in Communitiy Builder. It's very cool to have one place to track/manage threads that you are subscribed to ;-)

There are two levels here - what CB does and what SMF controls. SMF has built-in protections regarding profiles, and I'm trying not to override those. If I remember correctly, this can be set in the SMF backend. SMF uses conditionals (such as, $context[can_view_profile], I forget the exact name of it) to do permissions checking. If profiles are private in SMF, then (at least this is how it should work), CB should show a "sorry, you can't view this profile" message because SMF ultimately controls the forum profiles, and for many reasons this is how it should remain.

What I need to understand is exactly what you want CB to do. Do you mean that you want each owner/member to determine whether his SMF profile is visible in CB? If so, then I could just tweak my existing conditional calls to something like this:

[code:1]
if ($context[member][is_owner] || $context[can_modify_profiles])
then [execute profile code]
else print "Sorry, this profile is private.";
[/code:1]

Again, this can be accomplished by simply choosing the right built-in SMF conditional. Again, this could give the desired affect while still keeping SMF in control.

Please let me know, as the Profile conditionals may take a wee bit of trial and error to make sure I catch the cases right. Thanks again!

Regards,
Brat.

Post edited by: Brat, at: 2006/08/08 20:29

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn