Question about sharing the database.

17 years 4 weeks ago #35068 by badz2801
Question about sharing the database. was created by badz2801
Hello

I am interested in adding phpbb to my site and integrating it with Joomla.

I am concerned about adding it to the Joomla database.

Is there a correct way to backup the database prior to adding phpbb? Additionally, based on some of the posts here SQL errors seem to be frequent.

How can I determine what tables belong to joomla and which belong to phpBB?

Is CB Connector a free module? Do they differ in installation?

Does CB connector also require you to install the php board in the same database?

Thank you

Post edited by: badz2801, at: 2007/04/04 21:40

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 4 weeks ago #35157 by geeffland
Replied by geeffland on topic Re:Question about sharing the database.
As far as backing up... not sure what the best option is but you can just do an export using phpMyAdmin (assuming it is installed)... Then save the files somewhere locally on your machine.

Joomla typically will have jos_ as the prefix on its tables and phpbb will have phpbb_ as its prefix (unless you changed them during installation or either) so the prefix of the table should make it clear which is a Joomla and which is a phpBB table...

Both phpBB Connector and CB Connector are free programs/plugins. CB Connector is the successor to phpBB Connector. It is currently in Alpha stages readying for Beta stage. Currently CB Connector also requires you to install phpbb into the same DB as Joomla. Some recent code changes I have made to it require a bit more memory on the server side but are a first step to allowing separate databases. It is a planned feature to add in the future...

i don't think the SQL errors are as common as you are thinking. The main causes of those errors that I am seeing reported on the forums are:
1) Not installing phpBB into the Joomla database
2) Not setting the "forum directory" correctly
3) Some IIS servers don't have the DOCUMENT_ROOT server variable... CB Connector has other options as well to define the forum location but phpbb Connector only allows defining the forum based on DOCUMENT_ROOT...
4) Sites on siteground have difficulty due to some of their tight security restrictions... Don't quite have this one figured out yet...
5) Occasional bugs in the connector coding.

Hope this helps,
Greg

CB3PD Developer - CB Connector (formerly phpBB Connector) plugin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantgeefflandmartijn189krileon
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn