snoopy and other dogs

18 years 3 months ago #3937 by Muffin
Replied by Muffin on topic Re:snoopy and other dogs
I think this is a very serious point. You can read in this german forum thread that Community Builder components sends information without asking to joomlapolis.com just by clicking the configuration menu and that a Firewall alerts the user >> Application Hijacking, Security "Critical" << (the hijacked applicatoin is apache.exe because he tested it on his desktop PC)

The rest of the discussion is about security and privacy in Open Source applications and what parts of the code to comment out to disable the community builder phone home security leak.

I am also interested in an official statement because I am not sure wether this is necessary as you can share statistical information on the Joomlapolis Card voluntarily. CB is an excellent component and I am thinking of donating but this news is a shock.

Post edited by: Muffin, at: 2006/01/16 15:44

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 3 months ago #3942 by amarok
Replied by amarok on topic Re:snoopy and other dogs
another community-cmt without spy-ads is the community builder enhanced , give him a try ;).

greetz

amarok

www.joomla-support.de

18 years 3 months ago #3943 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:snoopy and other dogs
Please stop being hysteric.

We have added a version check to this component as a service to you.

There is absolutely no private informations which are sent to Joomlapolis during that check. It's only a standard http-request.

To be able in the future, if there is a big security threat for instance for a given release (this has not been the case up to now) to display a more visible warning to the admin, the request has the CB version in its request, so that the reply can be corresponding.

Part of a standard http-request is the referrer (which in this case is the mod_config_live_site).

This request is done only for the site admin in the backend when looking at the CB configuration. Other components and Joomla itself provide the same kind of services.

Nowhere else and Nothing more.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

18 years 3 months ago #3947 by amarok
Replied by amarok on topic Re:snoopy and other dogs
same here ;).

hi Beat,

the version check is a nice function, but i want to decide myself, at which time and i dont like it automatic like this function in cb. second thingie, why will the config_live_site be sended for the update check? i think this is absolutely unecessary for this function.

greetz

chris

www.joomla-support.de

18 years 3 months ago #3951 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:snoopy and other dogs
amarok wrote:

another community-cmt without spy-ads is the community builder enhanced , give him a try ;).

greetz

amarok

www.joomla-support.de

spy-ads?

really!

why not post a change request over at developer.joomla.org?

we are really chasing ghosts here.

18 years 3 months ago #3952 by rick
Replied by rick on topic Re:snoopy and other dogs
Why the big concern over Community Builder version check? This exact some thing takes place in other components such as Joomla-SMF Forum Bridge.

Nothing is done automatically so quit worring about things being changed or doen without your consent.

I think it might be better just to place a link to check for latest version to reduce concerns from people that have conspiracy theories like this thread is implying but the bottom line is there is no spying and no changes made to your sites so settle down and quit with all the implications and innuendoes.

My God this software is free, it is being done by people that are not getting anything out of it other than personal satisfaction. So be thankfull for people like the CB developers.

Rick

Running:
Joomla! 1.0.7 Stable
Community Builder 1.0 rc2
SMF 1.1 RC2

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn