[CONFIRMED] Registration emails [PASSWORD]

16 years 7 months ago #42772 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Re:Registration emails
Maybe the problem is that CB can not send the password to the user since CB does not know it?

When I understood the way CB works correctly, it receives the user crendentials of a new user and saves these credentials (username and MD5 hash of the password) in the database. The original clear text password is not stored (of course) and also not kept in memory temporary. When the mail is generated CB has only the username and the MD5 available, so a placeholder like [PASSWORD] would not work. Sure you could use the submitted clear text password in the notification message but in my opinion it would not be a good ides to send an user password in clear text back to him.

When a user requests a new password then the placeholder [PASSWORD] would contain the newly generated password. And the user is asked to change it as soon as possible.

Post edited by: slabbi, at: 2007/08/13 10:22

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #43176 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Registration emails
Correct, CB can send [PASSWORD] only in one case: that's in the email which is sent when user fills in registration form and presses the register button.

Otherwise, the substitution can't be made.

So if you use approval, then you need to use this in the pending email, not in the welcome email.

CB 1.0.2 worked same way.

CB never stores cleartext passwords, that's why it works that way ;)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

16 years 7 months ago #43205 by amzen
Replied by amzen on topic Re:Registration emails
Hello,

I used to run Joomla!1.011 and CB 1.0.2 and the user fills in registration email was ok with [password].

I just upgraded to Joomla!1.13 and CB 1.1 and I have the same problem of your discussion.
[password] in the user fills in registration email show [password] instead of the clear PW

I thought I was saved thanks to this Discussion post
THEN
I run Tools>Check CB DB
BUT
I keep the same mistake. Nothing ok.

I see no other solutions in the forum and as BEAT himself confirm there is no special problem,
Please who can help, is there something I shall have forgotten.

16 years 7 months ago #43210 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Registration emails
amzen wrote:

Hello,

I used to run Joomla!1.011 and CB 1.0.2 and the user fills in registration email was ok with [password].

I just upgraded to Joomla!1.13 and CB 1.1 and I have the same problem of your discussion.
[password] in the user fills in registration email show [password] instead of the clear PW

I thought I was saved thanks to this Discussion post
THEN
I run Tools>Check CB DB
BUT
I keep the same mistake. Nothing ok.

I see no other solutions in the forum and as BEAT himself confirm there is no special problem,
Please who can help, is there something I shall have forgotten.

do you have jomcomment installed?

if so, did you read this thread from the begining?

16 years 7 months ago #43222 by amzen
Replied by amzen on topic Re:Registration emails

nant wrote:
do you have jomcomment installed?
if so, did you read this thread from the begining?

Thank you for a so fast reply.

I just use Joomla and CB in the version I told.
I did not installed jomcomment or nothing else.
The only change I made is the upgrade of booth CB and Joomla

So ... ?

16 years 7 months ago #43247 by dpk
Replied by dpk on topic Re:Registration emails
I am using CB with Mambo 4.5.5. After upgrading CB, new registration emails were fine EXCEPT for the password, which is no longer working. You just get the field name in brackets.

I do not have jomcomment. I just replaced a hybrid hacked version of Ako Comment 2.0 with joomlacomment, but the CB problem happened before this switch.

I have tested different comment systems on this site in the past. I can;t recall if I ever tried jom comment, but it is possible. Any chance it left something behind to cause this problem with CB now?

Post edited by: dpk, at: 2007/08/17 18:36

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn