Concatenate Fields

16 years 8 months ago #42528 by ernienet
Concatenate Fields was created by ernienet
I've searched through the forums and found a reference to this, but it simply said that a solution was posted elsewhere in the forums. I continued to search but was unable to find it.

What I'd like to do is to have a field in the List Manager to concatenate city, state and zip_code into a single field - like Formatted Name does.

Is there a way to do this?

Many thanks!

Ernie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 8 months ago #42556 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Concatenate Fields
In CB 1.1, you can use a new replacement feature in quite some places, like "delimiter" type fileds, descriptions, titles, etc:

Syntax: just type:

[fieldname]

;)

I'm not sure if it works also for lists, and if you can add delimiter fields in lists...

Please try it out and give us feedback here :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

16 years 8 months ago #42578 by ernienet
Replied by ernienet on topic Re:Concatenate Fields
I played around with it, but wasn't able to get what I was looking for. I tried single field ([cb_zip]), using quotes, embedding in html, and even <?php echo ?> script, but nothing worked.

Some things will display in the profile (not fields, when referenced), but not in Lists.

How is the Formatted Name field generated? Can this be duplicated for other fields?

Thanks,

Ernie

16 years 8 months ago #42587 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Concatenate Fields
Formatted name is generated before storing into database table. It's not a general-purpose function yet.

You may either write a plugin to do this, or you or somebody else submit a proposal on how to add the missing evaluation of delimiter fields to CB lists. ;)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

16 years 8 months ago #42602 by mpeetsma
Replied by mpeetsma on topic Re:Concatenate Fields
beat wrote:

In CB 1.1, you can use a new replacement feature in quite some places, like "delimiter" type fileds, descriptions, titles, etc:

Syntax: just type:

[fieldname]

;)

I'm not sure if it works also for lists, and if you can add delimiter fields in lists...

Please try it out and give us feedback here :)

Tried this.. Didn't work!.. guess I'll have to wait for my subscript to approve.. hopefully stuff like this is in the documentation.

CB RULES!!
Runs an Adult Site built on Joomla

Advanced Profile Control & JSpaces Make CB1.1 what it needs to be!.. Don't setup without it!

16 years 8 months ago #42607 by ernienet
Replied by ernienet on topic Re:Concatenate Fields
Thanks Beat,

Both those options would be a little over my skill level at this time, although it might help me out to reverse-engineer the way it's done for Formatted Name. I searched a few of the .php files in comprofiler for it, but could not find it.

Maybe someone with better skills and the same goal will enter the picture soon and come up with a solution.

Thanks for all your help,

Ernie

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn