REAL Profiles

16 years 7 months ago #44239 by mommycity
REAL Profiles was created by mommycity
How is it that no one's requested that users be given real profiles. Yeah, I'm talkin' myspace style.

I seriously don't understand the concept behind the tabs system. To me, it just seems ridiculous. I'm in no way bashing joomla, mambo or the CB cuz Lord knows I couldn't do any of the coding necessary to make one of these sites run. I give huge props to you guys-n-gals.

But really... why not a REAL profile? Let them choose the color of their background, text colors & such.

I've figured out that you can use the creative tabs & editor to make a table which would give you a background color. But then it's a box in a box in a box in a box which looks pitiful.

Layers sort of work for that too but then they need a little html knowledge to get the bgcolor fixed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #44242 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:REAL Profiles
You can do a lot of different layouts with CB and a couple of plugins.

Search for "templace switcher", "customize tab" and "advanced profile control". Add in a few creative tabs, and you can do all kinds of real profiles

Here are a couple of links of this combination in action:
www.mikkosoft.fi/demo4/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=66&Itemid=28
www.mikkosoft.fi/demo4/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=64&Itemid=28
www.mikkosoft.fi/demo4/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=63&Itemid=28

-Mikko

16 years 7 months ago #44255 by mommycity
Replied by mommycity on topic Re:REAL Profiles
I just found the UHP2 component. It seems like that might help a bit.

I used the creative tabs, but as I said before, the only way to get a background on that would be to use a table or layer and not everyone would even know how to do that. And when using a large layer, it didn't stay in the confines of the page and looked hilarious. (but in a bad way =D )

I just think that a simple page would be so much easier. Couldn't it be done with a form, mysql and layout template that includes the info from the db?

Here's my thinking. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

User Profile Editing:
A form that saves info in the database.
Form options like pull down menu for background color and text areas for about me & hobbies.

User Profile:
Call for the info from the database. Give the page the background color they chose. And then a table that says something like "in this row print About Me", "in this row print the user's db info called about me", "in this row print Hobbies", "in this row print the user's db info called hobbies.

That probably made no sense, but that's why I don't do coding. :laugh:

But isn't that what all of the other pages do? Just call for a little info from the databases and print it using the pre-chosen layout??

16 years 7 months ago #44257 by mommycity
mikko wrote:

www.mikkosoft.fi/demo4/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user=66&Itemid=28
-Mikko

On that particular demo could you add more to that so I could see how it would look once they start adding things? As far as the green background, is that something "the user" added or is it the css you've applied?

16 years 7 months ago #44258 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:REAL Profiles
mommycity wrote:

mikko wrote:

-Mikko

On that particular demo could you add more to that so I could see how it would look once they start adding things? As far as the green background, is that something "the user" added or is it the css you've applied?

The CSS comes from
-Mambo template chosen by the user
-CB template chosen by the user
-Customizations from customize tab (the green background)

I added a couple of more tabs. Someone with a little bit eye for design could do wonders with this combination.

You can register a new user and check this out.

-Mikko

16 years 7 months ago #44271 by mommycity
Just a little "hey by the way if you care" After registering, I got the following error.
Warning: Missing argument 4 for insertobject() in /home/mikkosof/public_html/demo4/administrator/components/com_advancedprofilecontrol/advancedprofilecontrol.class.php on line 382

The registration worked fine and it told me I could log in now, but that was there...

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn