Is there a "need CB help, will pay" area?

16 years 6 months ago #45368 by VivekB
Is there a section of this forum where I can post something I want to do inside CB, and see if anyone's willing to write a module or component to do such a thing?

I'd be willing to pay a small amount for it, of course donating back to the community for free.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 6 months ago #45478 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Is there a
VivekB wrote:

Is there a section of this forum where I can post something I want to do inside CB, and see if anyone's willing to write a module or component to do such a thing?

I'd be willing to pay a small amount for it, of course donating back to the community for free.

Sounds interesting.

Can you please elaborate regarding how this would work exactly?

16 years 6 months ago #45537 by VivekB
Sorry, do you mean exactly what am I looking for, or how would a compensation model work?

If what i'm looking for, there's a few thoughts I have. I'll walk through one here, primarily around making the CB contacts and custom fields exportable to a CSV file through the front-end. I'm currently examining a few options for that particular problem(ie, UserlistXTD, RokReporter) but i've got so much dang work to do in order to setup the sites (i've intelligently taken on 2 - one for my neighborhood, one for my my kids school) that I don't have the time to learn how to do this.

It's not just a straight dump though and not all users - i'd want to have the ability to filter on one of the custom fields inside the module at runtime. That way I could have 1 menu item (or module), and have the ability for a "special" user to run a report with the list of email addresses, kids names (CB custom contact field) for just the "Lower Elementary 1" classroom. That's a pretty specific custom field (freetext field with which classroom is your kid in), but it could be named something generic so non-school applications would be easier.

As far as compensation, this is all out of my own pocket and being done in order to get this site up quicker, so I couldn't spend more than a double-digit price, hopefully not a very high double-digit either.

16 years 6 months ago #45548 by nant
I was trying to figure out what your suggestion regarding the forum area would be.

I could coordinate with the rest of the CB Team to create a new forum area, where community members can posts specific requests for paid work. Although there are other sites that do this much better (see joomlancers).

Also, Beat and the rest of the team accept projects with real budgets to add enhancements to CB that will later on be included in the next core (free) CB release.

I have also seen sites that implement a sponsor a feature model, where various features are described along with a target price. Community members, then donate and when the amount is reached development of these features takes place.

What do you think about all of this?

16 years 6 months ago #45550 by VivekB
oh, sorry for the overly detailed response then.

Yeah, anything for the small-timer would be perfect. I've heard of Joomlancers, just thought I'd start here as the intent would be to put it into the next release of CB (or a free extension). I've already gotten so much out of J/CB, I figure I gotta start giving back somehow.

16 years 6 months ago #46015 by pointri
Replied by pointri on topic Re:Is there a "need CB help, will pay" area?
In the community context, I agree that a bounty system for plugins and enhancements would be a more beneficial approach than the Joomlancers strategy, which is more targeted towards one-on-one arrangments.

Thing is, we'd probably have to start getting a bounty together now to develop the component that would make a bounty system work effectively. It's a chicken/egg problem if I ever heard one.

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn