Custom fields - one depends on another

16 years 2 days ago #61093 by colinstewart
Custom fields - one depends on another was created by colinstewart
Hi

I have searched and searched for info about this but can't find anything that will help.

I would like to have two or three fields in CB 1.1 and for one field to be dependant on another.

For example, a field containing a drop-down list of countries.

Another field containing a drop-down list of counties or states or cities etc and for this list only to contain the items relating to the country from the previous field.

I found the plugin CONDITIONS but apparently this has a bug at the moment and I can't find any setup instructions.

Surely other users of Joomla and Community Builder are doing something like this but what?

COUNTRY then REGION
or
COUNTRY then STATE then COUNTY

Thanks

Colin

Post edited by: colinstewart, at: 2008/04/16 21:50

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 1 day ago #61115 by monoxilio
Replied by monoxilio on topic Re:Custom fields - one depends on another
Hi everybody!
I've exactly the same problem...

I searched in this forum (and on other websites) articles referencing to this subject but I unfortunately have not found anything.

My PROBLEM is: I have created in my database a table with these fields:
- "country"; "area"; "city".
I now have to create a multiple choice (select list) to let a registered user specify where he lives. All this must have the select list logically connected each others.

My SCOPE would be to connect one specific "country" to the following list of "areas" related to that "country". Why? Well, I would like that, in the registration page, when a user selects (for example) the country "Italy", then he would be forced in the following field to select only the Italian areas and not French or Spanish ones.
And so go on creating some logical links between "areas" and "cities".

QUESTION: is it possible to create a logical connection among the fields inside the admin area of Joomla 1.0 or Joomla 1.5?! I instead need an external tool? Do you have any idea about it?

I have found something on the web but it's almost separated from the joomla database; instead I would really like to interact with joomla database.

Waiting for your answers. Hoping hearing you soon.
Sorry for my english...

Joomla CB rulez!

15 years 11 months ago #61758 by Schattenherz
Replied by Schattenherz on topic Re:Custom fields - one depends on another
I would appreciate that, too.

E-Mail: illusion123@freenet.de
MSN: illusion1@hotmail.de
Yahoo: illusion66

15 years 11 months ago #61816 by camaro69boy
Replied by camaro69boy on topic Re:Custom fields - one depends on another
Just like you guys, I am looking for the same thing. I have done a ton of searching on the internet and have yet to find a solution. Anyone have any ideas?

15 years 11 months ago #62216 by lenamtl
Replied by lenamtl on topic Re:Custom fields - one depends on another
This feature should be implement in CB.
I really need this option...

Lenamtl

15 years 11 months ago #62326 by sjnims
Replied by sjnims on topic Re:Custom fields - one depends on another
I agree, this type of feature is almost a standard these days on websites and is easily accomplished with asp.net...I'm not a php guy yet so I don't know how easy it would be to implement with that language.

Having this feature helps to eliminate the "dirty" data us website admins hate to see. Whats the point of storing the information if you have no way of controlling it?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn