Search Criteria - a request for simplification

15 years 9 months ago #68277 by achintya
hi

I am really appreciating the incorporation of an excellent multiple field search tool in CB 1.2 RC2.

However, I am noticing that many of my clients are being really put off by the Search Criteria system in the new Search system on CB. They don't understand Boolean search terms which come over as kind of Martian to most people? They are getting really confused. Unfortunately they are the kind of people who still put a single search term into Google and end up with 5 million results. They just don't know how to handle the idea of defining the search terms.

It would be really handy if there was an option to take out the preferences drop down lists and just automatically open up and display onscreen the appropriate search box or multiple search tables when the search button is chosen for a particular list, ie to cut out the boolean search options completely and assume it is "equal to" for all search areas.

There are options for the Search Criteria in the Admin, so this could be included as a 4th option (ie, no Boolean searching)

I have figured out by editing plugin.class.php how to cut out all but one of the boolean search criteria list, and everything seems to work fine, but I can't figure out how to get rid of the 'preferences' panel and just have the appropriate search boxes open up on screen.

Any suggestions?

Achintya

Achintya

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 7 months ago #73886 by kubbah
yep
I think that for a lot of users is too complicated..
any help?

15 years 7 months ago #73961 by sunnyjey
yeah..thats true.. present search is too complicated for the average user.

I am also looking for the solution. Perhaps developers should come with new changes in stable version..

15 years 6 months ago #77738 by lmkrenek
Hi there,

I'm also searching for a solution...could you send me a copy of your plugin.class.php file at lmkrenek@gmail.com or just post it here?

On my site I have a person search...I really just want to keep the "contains" function but am not sure how or whereo to eliminate the rest from the code.

Thanks!
Laura

15 years 6 months ago #77921 by webusat.com
Replied by webusat.com on topic Re:Search Criteria - a request for simplification
I would also like easier search parameters. My client was confused with all of the options and asked if there was an easier way. Anyone find an answer yet?

15 years 6 months ago #78102 by garethhowell
Replied by garethhowell on topic Re:Search Criteria - a request for simplification
Hi All

I'm looking for a solution for this too! Most of the clients I work for find the current search too complicated!

I'd like to disable the options and just show the text input field.

Has anyone had any luck with it?

Best

Gareth

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.305 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn