CB as a people database

15 years 6 months ago #75774 by kai920
CB as a people database was created by kai920
I'm working on a project and am evaluating if CB will meet the requirements. Essentially my members will be divided into two groups - 1) those that have to log in and manage and update their own information; and 2) those that do not need to log in

My questions are:

a) Is it possible to customize the output of the user list based on the category? In other words, have different 'templates'? I can achieve a certain level of customization using the 4 (maximum) column format of the user list, but is there additional control beyond that through CSS or more?

b) For (1) - users that have to log in - can CB import usernames from csv and auto-generate a username and password?

c) For (2) - users that do not log in - the key is that these users should not be able to log in. How might I achieve this? Can they be "non approved" status yet still show up on the user list?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 5 months ago #76299 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:CB as a people database
kai920 wrote:

I'm working on a project and am evaluating if CB will meet the requirements. Essentially my members will be divided into two groups - 1) those that have to log in and manage and update their own information; and 2) those that do not need to log in

My questions are:

a) Is it possible to customize the output of the user list based on the category? In other words, have different 'templates'? I can achieve a certain level of customization using the 4 (maximum) column format of the user list, but is there additional control beyond that through CSS or more?

b) For (1) - users that have to log in - can CB import usernames from csv and auto-generate a username and password?

c) For (2) - users that do not log in - the key is that these users should not be able to log in. How might I achieve this? Can they be "non approved" status yet still show up on the user list?

Not sure to understand, but here a few answers:

a) yes, you can have users-lists based on ACL level of joomla/mambo. and yes, you can customize through CSS. CB 1.2 RC 3 has way more CSS customization possibilities than CB 1.1 in users-lists.

b) yes, using an importing component "CB Juice"

c) well, you want 2 groups, or 3 groups (anonymous guests) ?
with 2 groups and no public access, it's easy: registered and public frontend groups. For 3 groups, it's trickyer. You could make the group A "Authors" for instance. Or wait for the upcoming CB paid subscriptions plugin which allows this as well.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 5 months ago #78490 by kai920
Replied by kai920 on topic Re:CB as a people database
Thanks for the reply :) I found your answer 'by chance' when searching for help on another issue! Very strange, I thought I had subscription on.

I have had good success with CBJuice, so most of my users are imported.

First issue I am encountering is that the number of people in the list displays, but the list itself is empty. I am having a hard time getting lists to show up to guests who are not logged in. If I log in as super admin, the people's names also show up. :huh:

Here's a sample:

Second thing - I cannot 'see' some of the fields when I am building the fields in the list. Why might that be? The tip says "fields must be on profile to appear in this list and be visible on the users-list" but I have checked and the field is indeed visible. (Show on Profile? = Yes, on 1 line)

Does it matter that I have multiple fields with the same Title? For example I have cb_prefix1, cb_prefix2 both called Prefix.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:

15 years 4 months ago #78656 by kai920
I tried turning debugging on, and compared the SQL queries when loading the list: a) not logged in vs. b) logged in.

Here is one SQL query that looked significantly different:

Not logged in:
[code:1]

SELECT f.*
FROM jos_comprofiler_fields f

INNER JOIN jos_comprofiler_tabs AS t
ON (f.tabid = t.tabid)

WHERE ( f.published = 1 OR f.name = 'name' )
AND ( f.profile != 0 OR f.name = 'username' OR f.name = 'name')
AND t.enabled = 1
AND t.useraccessgroupid IN (-2)

ORDER BY t.position, t.ordering, f.ordering
[/code:1]

Logged in:
[code:1]
SELECT f.*
FROM jos_comprofiler_fields f

INNER JOIN jos_comprofiler_tabs AS t
ON (f.tabid = t.tabid)

WHERE ( f.published = 1 OR f.name = 'name' )
AND ( f.profile != 0 OR f.name = 'username' OR f.name = 'name')
AND t.enabled = 1
AND t.useraccessgroupid IN (24,19,20,23,30,29,21,18,17,25,28,-2,-1)

ORDER BY t.position, t.ordering, f.ordering
[/code:1]

I can see that there are more queries run when I am logged in (25 vs 20), but beyond that I am not sure how to make sense of it. I even found this really old thread but it has not been able to help me.

On the user list, I have set the following:

User Group to allow access to: Everybody
User Groups to Include in List: Registered

Configuration >> User Profile >> Allow Access To is set to Everybody

As mentioned, the problem is that people can see the number of users in the list, but the names of the users don't show up. (see image in the previous post)

I tried to log in as a "Registered" access user and could not see the names in the list, so it appears only admins and above can see the names.

A permissions issue of some sort? Would be grateful for any hints!

15 years 4 months ago #78659 by kai920
Upon further investigation, I can get the username to show up to guests, but not formatname to display.. :huh: :huh: :huh:

15 years 4 months ago #78846 by kai920
Anyone have any ideas?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn