Please help with installation issues...

15 years 8 months ago #67051 by whamprod
Please help with installation issues... was created by whamprod
This is my first installation of CB. I have tried to follow the installation instructions, and they are making me crazy.

The PDF reads, under installation: "2.1 Distribution
The distribution package of the CB 1.2 is a compressed zip file comprised of the
following:
• comprofiler.zip
This contains the installation package of the CB component.
• cblogin.zip
This is the module package that will be used to substitute the default Joomla/Mambo Login module..." The fact is that, when I unpack cb_1_2_0_RC2-unzip1st.zip, nowhere is there any zip file named comprofiler.zip or cblogin.zip. I don't see how I can possibly install what isn't contained in the downloaded file - which I did pay you for ($40 U.S.)

I have to say that the instructions in both the PDF and the Readme.txt are not at all concise or aimed at the first time user.

I'm under pressure to get this installed so that I can demo it to a client, so I need help very quickly. Thank you in advance for your help.

{:•|)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #67061 by nant
whamprod wrote:

This is my first installation of CB. I have tried to follow the installation instructions, and they are making me crazy.

The PDF reads, under installation: "2.1 Distribution
The distribution package of the CB 1.2 is a compressed zip file comprised of the
following:
• comprofiler.zip
This contains the installation package of the CB component.
• cblogin.zip
This is the module package that will be used to substitute the default Joomla/Mambo Login module..." The fact is that, when I unpack cb_1_2_0_RC2-unzip1st.zip, nowhere is there any zip file named comprofiler.zip or cblogin.zip. I don't see how I can possibly install what isn't contained in the downloaded file - which I did pay you for ($40 U.S.)

I have to say that the instructions in both the PDF and the Readme.txt are not at all concise or aimed at the first time user.

I'm under pressure to get this installed so that I can demo it to a client, so I need help very quickly. Thank you in advance for your help.

Yup, this needs fixing in the detailed document - will do it asap.

In the meantime, please use the com_comprofiler.zip for component installation and mod_cblogin.zip for module installation.

Sorry for the inconvenience - fact is that at one phase during documentation authoring this statement was in fact true.

Once again, sorry, it will be fixed in next revision.

15 years 8 months ago #67099 by whamprod
Replied by whamprod on topic Re:Please help with installation issues...
Is Joomla 1.5.3 required for this installation? I ask because I'm on 1.5.2, and I can't get my copy of Joomla to install the zip files. When I try to use the install/uninstall feature to upload and install those zip files, I get an error message that says:

* Warning! - Failed to move file

Unable to find install package

I have previously installed other modules for other functions, and never had that error message.

When I used my FTP client to manually upload the contents of those zip files into their indicated directories, I see no references to anything "CB" in my Components menu. When I check my Module Manager screen, nothing related to CB is listed as installed. However, when viewing my Module Manager, if I click "New," I can see the following listed under available module types: CB Login, CB Online, and CB Workflows. Also, when I log into my database, I see no tables that look like they would be related to CB.

When I created a directory called "install" and uploaded com_comprofiler.zip into that directory, and then used the "install from URL" feature to point the installation to "mydomain.com/installdirectory/com_comprofiler.zip", I got a message that said:

Unable to find install package

At this point, I am at a complete loss. My partner and I are trying to meet with a client this week to demo this feature, and the week is half gone and I've spent 2 days now trying to install this plugin to demo it. I would dearly appreciate a set of detailed instructions that actually work, and then I would appreciate the availability of someone to hold my hand and walk me through this. Otherwise, I can't have confidence that this is a good choice for my customer if I get the contract.

Please let me know what I might have overlooked. Thank you.

Edited to add the following: I know that it shouldn't make any kind of difference, but are there any platform compatibility issues? I'm on a Mac running OS X 10.5.3.

Edited again to add the following: I'm not sure why this topic was moved to the RC2 Documentation Discussions forum page. There are other issues at stake here besides the documentation errors. Issues like your zip files not being recognized by Joomla! as a known type of archive.

Post edited by: whamprod, at: 2008/07/02 15:31

15 years 8 months ago #67162 by whamprod
Wow... I guess no more help is forthcoming. Well, that was certainly productive...

15 years 8 months ago #67443 by beat
Your guess seems wrong. Probably a question of priorities and available time...and:

CB relies on community support. Support is not included with free software nor with documentation subscription. And community members are very sensitive on language tone used. ;)

If you want paid for support or "hands-holding", best is to use joomlancers for now.

Topic was moved to documentation as it was pointing to documentation improvements. Thank you.

These being cleared, back to the questions in your reply:

These are really joomla questions:

- installing by uploading files: not a joomla installation procedure.

- Install from folder: you should have unziped the installer package in that folder, and not put the zip package.

- Install by uploading com_comprofiler.zip package: There was in first 2 days a small error in the installer package of CB 1.2 RC 2, which we fixed July 2nd. Maybe re-download the package (it's same CB but fixed packaging) now.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 8 months ago #67801 by whamprod
Beat,

Thank you for responding. I admit that my tone was snippy, but please understand that I was very, very frustrated by that point.

In any case, I apologize, and I wanted to let you know that I was finally successful in installing it. I'm not sure what I did differently, but it did finally work.

Thanks again.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn