Unawsered Questions

15 years 8 months ago #69037 by WebMuse
Unawsered Questions was created by WebMuse
I must say first that I'm disappointed with this document. While it does cover all the configuration options, having read through it I find myself asking why I wasted US$40+ on it. If I had access to RC2 software, and installed it, I could have figured out everything that this document covers without it. Enough venting...

There are several questions I have that were unanswered. The "advertisement" for this document promised expert tips. The only exper tip I saw was in regards to using a language file. Following is some of what I was expecting to get in a purchased document.

I know I have more questions, but for now:

1) When I create a new tab, with new fields, must it be complete before it is used when registering an individual? Or, can I add new fields at a later date?

2) This document covers both the RC version for Joomla 1.0.x and RC2 for J-1.5.x. It also references the API document which was written for CB RC (aka RC1).
Is this document still valid for RC2?

3) I plan to use CB to hold certain data about the site members, some of who will be labeled as "event hosts" and others as "event facilitators". I plan to create a new plug-in that will reference new fields I create.
I'm wondering if I can default and force a value for one field upon registration, and then at a later point, based on criteria determined by the plug-in can the plug-in code alter the value?

4) Is there any way, from a menu link, for certain tabs to show up for certain types of registration, and then other tabs show up for different registration types?

5) Is there any way for the workflow process to trigger different actions, ie. an administrator approval is required, based on whether a checkbox is checked or not?

Many thanks. I hope you consider adding more bells and whistles to this document.

WebMuse G

WebMuse G

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 8 months ago #69124 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Unawsered Questions
Thanks for your feedbacks. It is hard to make 1-doc-fits-all-levels ;) while being small enough to be readable, and large enough to contain all. Nick works on the docs, taking in account frequently asked questions and forum feedbacks.

There are other benefits from your support to the team, and more to come. So we hope you won't regret in coming 12 months to have supported the project.

Thanks also for your compliment that the UI of CB is quite self-explanatory. We aim hard to make CB already usable without documentation (even if we appreciate people getting the doc subscription and reading it ;) ) :)

Quick answers to your questions (I'm pretty sure Nick will point to relevant pages when he gets to it).

1) you can add, delete and move fields at any time.

2) Yes, RC2 is backwards compatible to 1.0 API. There will be a new API doc explaining CB 1.2 stable after we release CB 1.2 stable and plugins that are in the works.

3) yes, default value of fields setting apply to registration only.

4) yes, add to the url &tab=X where X is tabid, tab name, or plugin class name.

5) not in CB, but with a plugin yes. The upcoming paid subscriptions plugin does that based on plan chosen (also for free plans).

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 8 months ago #69131 by WebMuse
Replied by WebMuse on topic Re:Unawsered Questions
Thanks so much for your answers. It is greatly appreciated.

I plan to build 2 systems using CB. The first, which is currently underway, is work I am doing as volunteer for a local church, so I feel like I am $40 in the hole having been forced to purchase the documentation.

On the other hand, the second system will be one where I sell subscriptions for the functionality provided which will assist them in marketing their services. So, from this perspective, I definately believe in supporting this effort.

My funds are quite tight, being in startup phase right now, and I really love the conecpt of GPL and Joomla, where they offer the software for free to help me get running, and then as the success grows I can, after the fact, make donations to help continue to support the effort.

Additionally, I hope to be able to put at least the initial project (with customization built-in) as a new extension that others can use, and then I also will have the opportunity to receive donations.

So many opportunities.

Thanks again,
WebMuse G

WebMuse G

15 years 8 months ago #69173 by WebMuse
Beat,

Thanks again for your response. As I've started getting into CB in more detail, and reading several forum posts, I have realized the importance of being specific.

I am using another plug-in that requires J! 1.5 NATIVE mode. Yet, it seems that most of those posting to this CB forum ASSUME that we are running in LEGACY mode and that LEGACY is a mode that is acceptable.

I understand that it can take time to do the development for this upgrade, BUT, I need to have some basic functionality completed by the end of next week, so I don't have time to waste exploring options that will only lead to a dead end in this short term.

Here's my ADDITIONAL questions:

beat wrote:

2) Yes, RC2 is backwards compatible to 1.0 API. There will be a new API doc explaining CB 1.2 stable after we release CB 1.2 stable and plugins that are in the works.

You say it is compatible - is this true only in Legacy mode or also in Native mode?

If it is true only in Legacy mode, any chance I could join your team as a documentator, and provide updates to a document already in progress as I work through? Often times having someone who is new to the environment can make a document really robust in that they will doc stuff that seems obvious to those who have been around for a while.

5) Question: Is there any way for the workflow process to trigger different actions, ie. an administrator approval is required, based on whether a checkbox is checked or not?

Answer: not in CB, but with a plugin yes. The upcoming paid subscriptions plugin does that based on plan chosen (also for free plans).

Again, given my short deadline, any chance I could get a sneak preview of the code, knowing it may contain bugs, so that I can have a base to work on?

This short timeframe development is volunteer work for a local church.

I'm about to abandon CB altogether for now, because of my need for Native 1.5, and the short timeframe.

I'm more than willing to give back to the community. Please help me and I will help the community!!!

Thanks,
WebMuse G

WebMuse G

15 years 8 months ago #69297 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Unawsered Questions
Let's explain once more what "legacy plugin" in Joomla 1.5 is:

Joomla 1.5 is as follows:

- native API always works, can't be switched off.
- legacy API can be switched on or off with the legacy plugin which is in page 2 of core joomla 1.5 plugins.

- switching legacy plugin on does NOT switch native API off.

Additionally, specially if you run PHP 5, the native API on will not impact your website performance, nor the compatibility.

So it's not native OR legacy, but it's native AND legacy.

So there are no worries there.

We recommend CB 1.2 RC 2 for Joomla 1.5, as CB 1.1 is hitting quite a few compatibility bugs of Joomla 1.5, that we could workaround in CB 1.2 RC 2.

Having CB 1.2 RC 2 run natively is certainly an advantage in this working-around of bugs, and in a better integration. But having legacy plugin ON is NOT a problem for CB 1.2 RC 2 and for any other native extension.

Hope that makes things better understandable, and your choices easier.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 8 months ago #69571 by WebMuse
Thanks for this wonderful explaination. (Note, made a post just minutes ago along another thread about this Native vs Legacy thing, before I read this).

I thought I had read somewhere that if I turned on Legacy mode, one of my Native extensions would have problems, but I'll give this a try. It's worth at least testing, and I believe what you say is likely to be correct, and will save me a bunch of time.

WebMuse G

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds