CB goes Captcha!

16 years 8 months ago #40316 by herbs
Replied by herbs on topic Re:CB goes Captcha!
Hi guys,
i have been using captcha since the release and all was good until I moved to a dedicated webserver. I have checked everything mentioned in this topic but still no image is showing up.

Could you please advise.

thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 8 months ago #40366 by kellyrued
Replied by kellyrued on topic Re:CB goes Captcha!
Hi, I got it working finally but I think that there needs to be clearer docs included with this module. I only figured out which server-side dependencies I needed by digging back through this forum thread (several pages back to find a brief/cryptic mention of something called Freetype, which turned out to be the final missing bit before I got captcha working).

I ended up having to rebuild Apache with GD2 and Freetype support.

If there was a note about the needed prerequisite software in the backend administration panel for captcha, it would really help point people in the right direction a lot faster. Ideally, it would show the status of what you do/don't have installed and then link to some info for updating your server environment to support this module.;)

16 years 8 months ago #40368 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:CB goes Captcha!
kellyrued wrote:

Hi, I got it working finally but I think that there needs to be clearer docs included with this module. I only figured out which server-side dependencies I needed by digging back through this forum thread (several pages back to find a brief/cryptic mention of something called Freetype, which turned out to be the final missing bit before I got captcha working).

I ended up having to rebuild Apache with GD2 and Freetype support.

If there was a note about the needed prerequisite software in the backend administration panel for captcha, it would really help point people in the right direction a lot faster. Ideally, it would show the status of what you do/don't have installed and then link to some info for updating your server environment to support this module.;)

Next version will have all of this - the prerequisites were clearly outlined in the extensions listing extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,1802/Itemid,35/

However very few read anything ... :(

16 years 8 months ago #40369 by kellyrued
Replied by kellyrued on topic Re:CB goes Captcha!
The description might not be clear to people who haven't heard of those libraries before. Sometimes the more familiar you are with something the harder it is to write clear docs for people who are unfamiliar (and while everyone here might be a Joomla user, many might not realize/recognize what the prerequisites *mean* without some more details).

For example, I know what version of PHP I have and thought the libraries were part of PHP 4/5. I only learned what Freetype was/how to install it after searching the forum here but when I installed the extension it wasn't obvious what was wrong/why the image wasn't showing up. Fwiw, this was the first time I had to manually rebuild Apache with extra stuff so adding anything to PHP was a new thing for me. I know you can't target docs at all levels of skill but I have a feeling the prerequisites for this were over the heads of a few other users too. :silly:

I guess the more advanced users would know right off whether they have those libraries installed but I didn't really know what they were about/where to check for them on the server.

Thank you for a nice extension and feedback though. :)

16 years 8 months ago #40463 by herbs
Replied by herbs on topic Re:CB goes Captcha!
Could someone please advise what to do! Everything was fine untill I moved to a ded server. I have installed gd but captcha still not showing up. I also have Alikon Securebot installed and thats stopped working aswell.

Please help!

16 years 8 months ago #40663 by avancer
Replied by avancer on topic Re:CB goes Captcha!
I couldn't fix the problem so I decided to remove the plugin all together, but it seems when I remove it, the field still stays there and therefore my users can't register because the plugin is removed and yet there's still a space to enter the code...what should I do?

as for the thing not working, the image isn't displayed but I have the GD2 library installed and everything.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds