String substituion not I18N friendly

15 years 2 months ago #87438 by kmilos
String substituion not I18N friendly was created by kmilos
Dear CB developers,

I have already tried to draw your attention to this once [1], but I still hope you can start considering I18N and L10N issues a bit more seriously in the future if you'd like your software to be adopted worldwide more.

String substitution might seem great to the developer as it makes coding easier, but string substitution rules that work for English simply do not work in many other languages, for reasons of capitalization rules, gender, plural rules, noun declension, word order, etc.

Pretty please, have this in mind when adding new functionality and strings to CB, the new cbteamplugins_language.php is full of them which cannot be properly and meaningfully localized.

[1] www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/catid,64/id,79044/#79044

Post edited by: kmilos, at: 2009/02/01 19:46

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 1 month ago #89443 by kmilos
Replied by kmilos on topic Re:String substituion not I18N friendly
I am really (unpleasantly) surprised that among so many translators and languages represented in CB no one has any comment on this issue. Is there no desire to make this software better for non-English users?

Just to give you an example, broken constructions like:

'%s added a new %s'

with substitution of the second string with

'picture'
'profile book'
'profile gallery'
'wall'

is much better served with

'%s added %s'

with

'a new picture'
'a new profile book'
'a new profile gallery'
'a new wall'

because gender of the noun moderates the adjective, at least in my language (Serbian), but I know it is so for many others, like German for example.

Post edited by: kmilos, at: 2009/02/21 17:15

15 years 1 month ago #89464 by beat
You are right - Some of the new strings, quickly added a few days before CB 1.2 stable release were to generic. Unfortunately, a translator reacted to late, after CB 1.2 stable was released.

I missed your previous post as well regarding the core string. Sorry about that.

We will try fixing these for next release.

We do not have actually an official Serbian translator. As I see you contributed Serbian versions for CB 1.2 RC 4 . Many Thanks. If you want to help by translating officially to Serbian and make sure before next release that we have these right, please PM to nant.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 1 month ago #89468 by kmilos
Replied by kmilos on topic Re:#216
Beat, thank you very much for picking up on this and including it on the tracked issues list.

Also, is gettext based I18N at all on the radar for future CB developments?

I have already contributed official Serbian translations for 1.2 [1], but can't promise to keep updating, all depends on real life work load :unsure:

[1] www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_mtree/task,listcats/cat_id,178/Itemid,55/

14 years 1 month ago #124960 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:#216

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn