sizing and scaling of platform

18 years 2 months ago #3368 by rswennen
sizing and scaling of platform was created by rswennen
All,

not quite sure if this is the right category to post the request but I am looking for informatiuion about sizing and scaling.

I am planning to set up a joomla website with CB and the expected number of registered users would be about 10.000

Where can I find information of experiences about the sizing of the servers. What would be the required amount of memory ?

Would it be recommended to split database and joomla (website) on two separate servers.

I see this site has about 2.800 users and trail has about the same on his site. What are the experiences here ? Can you give me some insight on the server size used to run these sites ?

Or any other experience is welcome.

Thanks a lot

Rohnny

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 2 months ago #3658 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:sizing and scaling of platform
CB itself does not eat lots of ressources, as well as Joomla. This site is on a standard shared server, while Trail's is on a dedicated one.

It's not the number of registered users which give you the server sizing, but the number of concurrently browsing users, and even more importantly what they are doing...

Some easy-looking components like calendars are heavily loading the database, with over 60 requests for just displaying the calendar, while others are savy.

We have designed CB to be database-accesses savy, with one acceptable compromise: computing and displaying the link (degrees) between two users on a user profile is a heavy relational SQL request. That's why we limit it to 4 degrees links.

You need to take a careful look at the image gallery component, calendar, etc, as well as on the tabs that you use, more than on CB itself.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn