Hosting, Speed, Databases, Live Connection Limits

14 years 4 months ago #118425 by envee
Hi there

I have been working on my subscription based website (localhost) for a while now and I am getting ready to host it live. I am aiming to get 500 to 2000 subscribers using it, of which I expect half to be logged in for most of the day. Hence, I expect numerous simultaneous database connections (I'm no technical expert - so I don't know how to work the calculations). I am running the following:

Joomla 1.5.11 in Legacy Mode
My Community Template 1.1 (with module enabled)
Community Builder 1.2.1 (with 1-2 plugins / modules)
CB Subs 1.0.3
An Auction Component with 3-4 modules
Few other minor components such as Add This, Google Analytics, youtube embedder

1) Do you think a shared hosting plan will be OK to provide adequate speed for my (500-2000) members? Do you think I need to get dedicated / managed hosting?

2) Of the above, it seems this will be a pretty database intense site. What are your thoughts / suggestions on getting it to run smooth and quick? do you believe that it will work well and where do you think I may face a speed bottleneck?

3) How many users logged on concurrently (and using the database) could break the website?

I'm no expert, so I need your advice on what I may be facing when moving online...

Many thanks

All the very best
Nick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 4 months ago #118430 by Rapunzl
nicolasvirtsonis wrote:

Hi there
1) Do you think a shared hosting plan will be OK to provide adequate speed for my (500-2000) members?

This depends on the server's speed. You'd have to ask your host.

Do you think I need to get dedicated / managed hosting?

Dedicated and managed are two different things. You will need dedicated if you plan to offer certain payment systems off your site, to provide security and conform with the requirements of your chosen SSL certificate.

Managed Hosting is required if you don't have the time to manage the site yourself, but it depends on the management offered and for what price... this varies by hosts.

2) Of the above, it seems this will be a pretty database intense site. What are your thoughts / suggestions on getting it to run smooth and quick? do you believe that it will work well and where do you think I may face a speed bottleneck?

Google Analytics isn't "minor". This, in itself, can greatly affect the speed of a site, depending on how it's implemented. If it's implemented properly, it shouldn't affect it a lot.

The basic rule is: Less is faster. Lots of scripting and flash can hinder a site too, especially if done incorrectly.

3) How many users logged on concurrently (and using the database) could break the website?

This depends on your hosting plan. Bandwidth limits are the only thing that would "break" your site in this respect.

I'm no expert either, and I reserve the right to be wrong regarding any one or more of the above answers.
:P

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

14 years 4 months ago #118436 by envee
Thanks Rapunzl! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

From some basic googleing many people say that in dynamic sites the bottleneck is the servers ability to process the database connections. The community modules and the auction stuff i use rely on the dbase very strongly. Some hosts have dropped clients for intense processor burdens due to the database straining their systems. I will need SSL for CBSubs and I don't really trust hosts promises as they seem to slander each others' promises all the time. I'm trying to find the best compromise between fast, reliable hosting, scalability, decent costs, and support for me as a non-expert.

I wonder what others do for their hosting in similar situations?

Thank for your input!

14 years 4 months ago #118438 by Rapunzl
I know what you mean about trying to get good hosting feedback. I quit my old host, which I would have swore by up till the last couple years, and now I go with Joomlapolis hosting. I recommend you compare the features of JP hosting with other prospects.
;)

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

14 years 4 months ago #118439 by envee
Thanks Rapunzl. Yes I have thought of Joomlapolis Hosting but at 430€ per month it is way out of my budget I'm afraid... :ohmy:

14 years 4 months ago #118516 by beat
Our pricing is very competitive for a multi-core managed dedicated fully redundant clustered server with several firewalls, security wise, and full off-site backup. Can not be compared to a single dedicated root server without full management. Not counting that it comes with expert support from hardware up to Joomla, CB, CBSubs, and special performance fine-tunings for demanding websites.

If your website is your business, then downtime and data-loss are your nightmares.

To avoid such nightmares for this site, we designed this hosting:

Our 24/7 hardware reliability is achieved through full redundancy. Even disks of the RAID array are network-distributed on separate physical servers.

As a matter of fact, your *dedicated* server runs virtually on multiple physical servers where dedicated hardware is firmly allocated and mirrored to dedicated physical server, so that there is automatic and quick fail-over without loss of data.

This setup is complemented by multiple levels of firewalls, protecting your site from potentially damaging requests. So all is doubled basically doubling our hardware, datacenter and so on costs, with hot-spares-in-the-private-cluster.

The forgotten story of hardware root-servers is that when such a dedicated root server fails (without such setups like the ones here), the time to re-provision a new one, restore the settings, site backups and so on can be of 1-2 days, where your site is offline.

Now taking all of the above in account, sometimes not even set up for mission-critical corporate servers, and the rest shown in our hosting presentation pages, it is a very very good pricing.

Same setup is done for our standard hosting plans, just that it's not dedicated hardware and power. Now... that too makes our offering a very competitive deal.

Now you might not need that kind of redundancy and security, and then it might be an overshoot for your needs. We can also fully understand that it can be out of your budget.

Now all of that said, to come back to your initial question: with 500-1000 users browsing your site continuously, a dedicated server is sure recommended to keep your site speedy. If you plan starting with less users, then you could choose one of our standard plans, and we could then move your site to a dedicated redundant server when needed.

We don't do non-redundant hosting, as we don't use that ourselves. There are enough offers in that area.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantgcorbazkrileon
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn