Hosting, Speed, Databases, Live Connection Limits

14 years 3 months ago #118542 by envee
You make very convincing arguments beat B) Your brand (& yourself) give credibility to the service - so I'm interested. At this point in time even the run-of-the mill dedicated servers out there are out of budgetary reach. I'd love to get going on one of your shared plans as a test startup and I'd trust your team to help migrate from one to the other later on.

1) What should my expectations of speed be running my site on your shared service until I can afford migrating? (i.e. in terms of concurrent database connections/users?)

2) Between the 4-5 non dedicated services you offer, is there a difference in the speed / concurrent database user limits?

3) After, say, I decide to migrate to the dedicated hosting - what kind of speed (again users/connections) could I expect? What limitations would there be?

4) I'm no techie. Do you anticipate this being a problem in me being a client for the dedicated package? What support can I expect? Any guarantees you offer?

5) Are there any additional costs I need to be aware of? (i.e. software licenses etc...)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Hopefully other prospects will also find answers here.

Many thanks, Nick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 3 months ago #118552 by beat
nicolasvirtsonis wrote:

You make very convincing arguments beat B) Your brand (& yourself) give credibility to the service - so I'm interested. At this point in time even the run-of-the mill dedicated servers out there are out of budgetary reach. I'd love to get going on one of your shared plans as a test startup and I'd trust your team to help migrate from one to the other later on.

1) What should my expectations of speed be running my site on your shared service until I can afford migrating? (i.e. in terms of concurrent database connections/users?)

2) Between the 4-5 non dedicated services you offer, is there a difference in the speed / concurrent database user limits?

3) After, say, I decide to migrate to the dedicated hosting - what kind of speed (again users/connections) could I expect? What limitations would there be?

4) I'm no techie. Do you anticipate this being a problem in me being a client for the dedicated package? What support can I expect? Any guarantees you offer?

5) Are there any additional costs I need to be aware of? (i.e. software licenses etc...)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Hopefully other prospects will also find answers here.

Many thanks, Nick

1) Speed/Database:
  • Shared hostings are on shared servers. Speed can be like dedicated at low traffic hours, or a fraction of dedicated during bursts. This are just standard technical facts. Our servers are tuned to keep resources distribution among sites and users in a as fair as possible way.
  • We do not overload servers, but when sites start using heavily lots of resources that impact other sites, their allocated resources get automatically capped to protect other users.
  • To the contrary of many shared hosts, we do not run MySQL with default configuration (e.g. maximum 64 open tables !!!), but it is performance-optimized, trying to keep most tables of all sites in a big memory cache. Optimizing heavy-loaded CB-powered sites with thousands of users browsing hundreds of thousands of profiles simultaneously, together with MySQL optimization experts and Linux experts has given us some background to optimize our own servers right ;) .
  • If your scripts and database accesses are fast and template efficient, you can have hundreds of users, but if you have a single scripts or database access which is slow like e.g. 2 CPU-seconds to serve the page, then it's obviously slow and even with 8 dedicated CPUs you won't be able to serve more than 4 users per second, mathematically. Even a small calendar module, when badly implemented can kill your site performance. So really, can't tell a generality.
2) Yes, the allocatable resources depend on the plan too. But again, it's not static values, it's dynamic depending on the load on shared servers. You get what you pay for. :)

3) On dedicated, we can tune settings to your own site needs. Our goal is that your site flies (if the scripts used allow it). :)

4) If you are not a techie you may need a website builder. That service is not included in our hosting. Our guarantee is that our hosting team is here to help you on hosting questions, and sometimes quite beyond when time permits, that our hardware is redundant, and our servers automatically monitored, evaluating around 50 parameters per second per server. If you read any guarantee from any hoster, you will soon see that most don't guarantee anything in fact, and budget-hosters promise unlimited everything for almost nothing. No need to be an expert to see that such guarantees and promises are untrue and can't be kept without substantial material limits. ;)

5) our standard hosting packages come with all software licenses needed for the hosting. CBSubs and other third-party commercial extensions are not included, but not mandatory either, it's your choice to purchase and install or not. What's not included in base price: extra-services beyond regular hosting support, SSL cert and installation, dedicated IP address if needed for cert. Dedicated IP is avail at signup, SSL are available on request. For dedicated it's anyways quote-based depending on needs. Obviously when running your site on our shared servers, we can much better evaluate the site's current needs. Knowing Joomla and CB inside out obviously can help too. ;)

I hope the above answers your questions. Feel free to ask here or on our hosting ticket-system, or just try the hosting (links in left column), the standard ones comes with a 30-days money-back warranty (if that was your question above).

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 3 months ago #118555 by envee
That was quick - Thanks Beat, sounds great. I can't see why not use you guys after such a thorough answer! I'll get in touch directly for the details and I'd be obliged if your team could put their Joomla hat on and give the site an "acid test" evaluation for speed & scalability.

Looking forward to it!

Thanks again,
NickQA

Moderators: beatnantgcorbazkrileon
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn