Time based content access

14 years 7 months ago #107004 by toddfletcher
Time based content access was created by toddfletcher
I am run an online training site. I have a unique need, and would like help setting CBSubs up to accomplish this, or something similar.

I have class content which access needs to be time based. In other words, a user subscribes to the site for $19.95/month. Then the class content they have access to depends on how many months they are with the site. I have tried complicated multi-tiered setups, but the students find is much to complicated.

Do you have ideas or suggestions on how to accomplish this with CBSubs? If not... can I contract a developer to create this feature?

Thanks...
Todd Fletcher B)
Crazy Horse Productions

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #107056 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Time based content access
This is not currently available. I am unaware of any plans to implement it. API is also yet to be available so a contracted developer wouldn't be able to utilize CBSubs properly.

It might be possible with a Joomla plugin and a few SQL queries to check and compare subscription date and article date.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 7 months ago #109326 by toddfletcher
Replied by toddfletcher on topic Re:Time based content access
Ok.. So I'm trying to create a work around for this problem. I am down to a last snag. I'll see if I can explain it:

I have created a paid parent subscription (All Inclusive $19.95/mo). Then I have 12 child subscriptions (one for each month). Each month I setup only one out of the 12 as "Allow New Subscriptions". The user must be paying the $19.95 a month to sign up for one of the 12 subscriptions. BUT once they sign up for a given month, they should never be able to even see the upgrade possibility for the other months. Unfortunately I can either set it up so that no one sees the next month, or it allows the user to "upgrade" to the next month after having subscribed to an earlier month. Even though I set up all 12 child subs as "Exclusive" it still allows the users to subscribe to the next one even though they have an active one from an earlier month. Ugh. Does that makes sense? Do you have any suggestions on making it work, or maybe you have another suggestions for a work around for the situation in my first post.

THANK YOU in advance for your time,
Todd Fletcher

14 years 7 months ago #109341 by krileon
I suggest taking the average of a month, multiply it by twelve, and divide it by that value. Then that that value and multiply it by 12.

What you're looking for is the average cost of giving access to 12 months worth of articles.

This would allow you to do 1 year subscriptions instead of worrying about month by month. That way when they do make the purchase they are paying for a years worth of articles.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 7 months ago #109380 by toddfletcher
Replied by toddfletcher on topic Re:Time based content access
The main issue is that we are an online training site (ie school). Training content needs to be metered out to students over a year's time - and they all start at which ever month they first subscribe, but need to be given access only to a section of training per month. And they cannot be given a chance to subscribe to another course once they begin.

Thanks again for your time and help

Todd

14 years 7 months ago #109401 by krileon
Sorry, I just can't think of a way to achieve this. This may require custom development when the CBSubs API releases. I do not have a release date for the API, but it is a very high priority.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds