[SOLVED] CB Data in Front End Articles

13 years 5 months ago #146478 by opcrich
I've searched the forums and extensions.joomla.org for something that will do the following. I apologize in advance if I've overlooked a previously posted solution to this use case.

I have a field I've created called cb_referred, which is required at registration. This is a select field, which I manually populate with values representing ways someone has heard about my website (flyer, facebook, etc). Included in the selectable options are some users who have become referrers (recruiting people to sign up for the site).

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

1) I'd like to have an article that displays a tally, preferably a bar graph, with the data from this field. I'd also like to exclude one of the options, "none" since the majority of users who sign up for the website do not necessarily select a referrer and if the majority of the users have none indicated, it wouldn't be handsome in a bar graph.

2) I'd like those users who are referrers to have a tab in their profiles which show the folks who've indicated them as a referrer. For Example Mark is a referrer on our site and John signs up and selects Mark as the referrer at registration, then Mark sees John listed in a tab of his profile that John marked him as such.

Once again, I apologize if I've overlooked a previously posted solution. I've subscribed to CB Subs because I believe in this product and it's many uses. I wish I had a greater depth of knowledge when it comes to coding these types of solutions. Hopefully this is something that's easily accomplished.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/11/17 21:40

Rich Davey
Web Developer, Soloprenuer
www.outstandingpc.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #146515 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:CB Data in Front End Articles

1) I'd like to have an article that displays a tally, preferably a bar graph, with the data from this field. I'd also like to exclude one of the options, "none" since the majority of users who sign up for the website do not necessarily select a referrer and if the majority of the users have none indicated, it wouldn't be handsome in a bar graph.

You'll need a custom extension such as module to format the input data. CB can't do this for you. It will format the field as a normal select field and simply display the selected value.

2) I'd like those users who are referrers to have a tab in their profiles which show the folks who've indicated them as a referrer. For Example Mark is a referrer on our site and John signs up and selects Mark as the referrer at registration, then Mark sees John listed in a tab of his profile that John marked him as such.

Tabs are not conditional, so displaying a tab based on field value can't be done without an extensive integration to allow doing so. Best approach is to use complex IF substitutions in a delimiter field to format data based on field value. Please see tutorials within signature on how to do this.

If you simply want to display a field like username on an article you can use our documentation subscriber incubator project CB Content Bot which allows substitutions in articles.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 5 months ago #146527 by opcrich
Replied by opcrich on topic Re:CB Data in Front End Articles
Hi Kyle-

Thanks for the reply.

1) Does anyone on CB's dev team bid projects like making this sort of extension? Is there an hourly or project rate for these types of requests?

2) The name of the tab wouldn't be conditional as much as a designation that would be made for users who are referrers. The content within the tab would be conditional, in that folks who've indicated that they were referred by x user would then show up under the "Users you've Referred" tab in the Referrer's profile.

I hope that clarifies my intent. Thanks for your feedback and assistance.

Rich Davey
www.outstandingpc.com

13 years 5 months ago #146530 by krileon

1) Does anyone on CB's dev team bid projects like making this sort of extension? Is there an hourly or project rate for these types of requests?

Am on the development team and no we typically do not accept projects. We've a full timescale as is and don't have time for additional projects. Incubator projects are done on our own personal time, but I typically only develop what I feel is of interest.

The content within the tab would be conditional

Right, you can do this very thing with a delimiter field and IF substitutions. Please see tutorials within my signature or search for examples of other users usage.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 5 months ago #146547 by opcrich
Replied by opcrich on topic Re:CB Data in Front End Articles
Thanks for your responses. Based on a rough estimation, what do you think is a reasonable amount of time for an extension of this nature to take to develop by a competent developer? If I'm going to sub out a project like this, I'd like some barometer of what's involved as far as a time commitment.

Thanks again!

Rich Davey
www.outstandingpc.com

13 years 5 months ago #146559 by krileon
opcrich wrote:

Thanks for your responses. Based on a rough estimation, what do you think is a reasonable amount of time for an extension of this nature to take to develop by a competent developer? If I'm going to sub out a project like this, I'd like some barometer of what's involved as far as a time commitment.

Thanks again!

Sorry I can't speak for other developers. Typically a contract developer will give you a quote based off their ability and your needs. If needing a very basic module then probably 1-2 hours.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn