'Lost' contact fields

18 years 2 months ago #7123 by jdcharrison
'Lost' contact fields was created by jdcharrison
Hi:

I have installed CB (RC2) on Joomla (1.07), and am puzzled by one apparent anomaly: although I have published the Contact tab, it does not normally appear on a user's profile page along with the other published tabs.

However, if the user follows the 'edit profile' link from his profile page, the missing contact tab and fields duly appear.

Can anyone explain why the contact tab does not appear on the profile page pre-editing ?

Thanks in advance,

John

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 2 months ago #7128 by jdcharrison
Replied by jdcharrison on topic Re:'Lost' contact fields
Further to my earlier post, I have now realised that:

- the contact tab appears when a user follows the link to 'update his details' on the profile page
- if the user makes changes to any of the classic contact fields (name, username, e-mail), the contact page remains invisible on the profile page once the edit window has been closed
- if - during editing - the user makes entries to any fields thay have been added to the Contact Info tab, then the tab becomes visible on the profile page once the edit window has been closed. However, only the added fields are shown; the 'classic' fields are missing.

I guess this problem must be to do with the inegration (or lack thereof) between CB and the classic registration fields.

Would welcome a response from anyone who has come across this issue before.

Rgds

John

18 years 2 months ago #7200 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:'Lost' contact fields
jdcharrison wrote:

Further to my earlier post, I have now realised that:

- the contact tab appears when a user follows the link to 'update his details' on the profile page
- if the user makes changes to any of the classic contact fields (name, username, e-mail), the contact page remains invisible on the profile page once the edit window has been closed
- if - during editing - the user makes entries to any fields thay have been added to the Contact Info tab, then the tab becomes visible on the profile page once the edit window has been closed. However, only the added fields are shown; the 'classic' fields are missing.

I guess this problem must be to do with the inegration (or lack thereof) between CB and the classic registration fields.

Would welcome a response from anyone who has come across this issue before.

Rgds

John

No, these are normal operation mode of CB.

The profile of the user should look to him as much as possible as to any other user, so he sees what others see.

The username, password and emails are "invisible" on profile.

So no bug here.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

18 years 2 months ago #7261 by jdcharrison
Replied by jdcharrison on topic Re:'Lost' contact fields
beat wrote:

No, these are normal operation mode of CB.

The profile of the user should look to him as much as possible as to any other user, so he sees what others see.

The username, password and emails are "invisible" on profile.

So no bug here.

I guess the question hinges on the context for the word 'should' as used in Beat's reply.

I am trying to use CB as an extended registration module for a business-oriented site in which community functionality is not required.

In this context, a user 'should' be able to click on a 'Your profile' link and be taken to a page displaying all the attributes recorded about him by the site. Then, by following a further link, he should be able to edit all these attributes.

I realise that this scenario is not core for the CB team. However, a few minor mods would make excellent software usable by an additional group of users.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn