Can't reinstall CB

14 years 8 months ago #108379 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Can't reinstall CB
Hi ZombieNRG,

First of all, sorry to read the issues you had following that configuration error.

Thank you for your excellent suggestions, which are highly appreciated:

We will improve online help and backend UI to try to avoid that misunderstanding happening again.

In addition, I think it makes sense to protect the admin against himself by not allowing protecting the main directory of the site, as that's not the usual and documented way to protect the site, given all the features of CBSubs, e.g. for account expiry control and renewal offerings, which can't be done by using that .htaccess method.

Best Regards,
Beat

ps. btw just as idea/trick: backups do really help in such circumstances, if not for restoration, at least to diff quickly and see what changed.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 8 months ago #108697 by ZombieNRG
Replied by ZombieNRG on topic Re:Can't reinstall CB
Thanks Beat,
For what it's worth...
I read the manual to mean I was Granting Access to a group(plan). Not restricting access to other plans. Hence the lovely way it broke my site by stopping the art thumbnails from displaying on the home page. (the directory "art" image directory was protected. I was trying to give artist the ability to upload photos.)

I suggest a 3 prong approach to avoiding this potential situation in the future.

1) Text - Stating it as "Folder Protect grants access to a specific Folder/Directory for a specific Plan while preventing access to all other Plans and unregistered users."

2) Core programming - I would suggest making Admins or higher automatically included in the PW file. (or make a "call" to check for admin and higher in the DB ) That way admins can't lock themselves out. As the .htaccess method works extremely well at locking you out of the back-end side of the site as well.

3) UI - If deleting directory protection in the UI Does Not remove the actual .htaccess file. Then there should be a log of previously protected directories ON the UI Protection Page. For example if 2+ people are working on the site and one set up protection and then decides to delete it. The only way to find the .htaccess file is via a command line search of the site. Which most people can't do.

The fundamental problem is you guys are too good and we're spoiled rotten. So users expect everything to be WYSIWYG. When it's not - we need extra help.

As to back ups - I had several people sign up and many other edits the day this happened. So I really didn't want to loose everything by rolling back to the backup.

I hope this is helpful.
Eric

Post edited by: ZombieNRG, at: 2009/08/20 16:51

Post edited by: ZombieNRG, at: 2009/08/20 16:53

14 years 8 months ago #108802 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Can't reinstall CB
ZombieNRG wrote:

Thanks Beat,
For what it's worth...
I read the manual to mean I was Granting Access to a group(plan). Not restricting access to other plans. Hence the lovely way it broke my site by stopping the art thumbnails from displaying on the home page. (the directory "art" image directory was protected. I was trying to give artist the ability to upload photos.)

I suggest a 3 prong approach to avoiding this potential situation in the future.

1) Text - Stating it as "Folder Protect grants access to a specific Folder/Directory for a specific Plan while preventing access to all other Plans and unregistered users."

2) Core programming - I would suggest making Admins or higher automatically included in the PW file. (or make a "call" to check for admin and higher in the DB ) That way admins can't lock themselves out. As the .htaccess method works extremely well at locking you out of the back-end side of the site as well.

3) UI - If deleting directory protection in the UI Does Not remove the actual .htaccess file. Then there should be a log of previously protected directories ON the UI Protection Page. For example if 2+ people are working on the site and one set up protection and then decides to delete it. The only way to find the .htaccess file is via a command line search of the site. Which most people can't do.

The fundamental problem is you guys are too good and we're spoiled rotten. So users expect everything to be WYSIWYG. When it's not - we need extra help.

As to back ups - I had several people sign up and many other edits the day this happened. So I really didn't want to loose everything by rolling back to the backup.

I hope this is helpful.
Eric

Post edited by: ZombieNRG, at: 2009/08/20 16:51

Post edited by: ZombieNRG, at: 2009/08/20 16:53

Very good suggestions. I like particularly your suggestion #2.

Regarding backup, I wasn't thinking of a rollback, just for a DIFF (folders compare). One of the keys in choosing a backup app is backup format: your backup format should be readable without tools... In that way you can diff to see changes, and just restore THE bad change. :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds