New Plugin - Help needed

12 years 2 months ago #192013 by angello
New Plugin - Help needed was created by angello
Anybody that can help making a new plugin for CB?
I need a component that imports 4-5 fields from an MS Exel sheet to the database. After this it needs a plugin that presents the result for each user (the data that belong to the user) in a CB Tab.
The website name is www.apls-tanta.com

Price?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #192071 by rspack
Replied by rspack on topic Re: New Plugin - Help needed
Don't think you need a custom plugin. What you may be able to do is the following:

Create the fields you wish to import using CB Field Manager.

Next, download the plugin called CBJuice from Joomla extensions directory:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/community-builder-extensions/community-builder-activities/2613?qh=YToxOntpOjA7czo3OiJjYmp1aWNlIjt9

Install the plugin and make sure it is published.

Next, export the entire database using CBJuice. It will save the file as a CSV (Comma Separated Values) format which MS Excel will be able to open natively. You might have to use the Text to Data feature in excel to get the file to layout correctly.
Now open your other excel spreadhseet and copy and paste the columns and rows of data from that into your imported users.csv file.
Save the file and then use CBJuice to import your new data back into the database.

Hope this helps.

12 years 2 months ago #192081 by angello
Replied by angello on topic Re: New Plugin - Help needed
Thanks for the reply rspack,
The data I want to import and after to present in CB is the test results for each student (3000 students), every time they make a test.

1. The students will register and update themselves in CB.
2. I will make a new field called "Get the tests", to allow or not allow the student to see the test results.
3. The student that are allowed to see the test results will click on the tab Test results in theyr Profile and see all their test results(see attachment)

Hope this enlightening the case.
Thanks!
Attachments:

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #192082 by rspack
Yes, you should e able to do this as I described earlier.

1. Make a Tab called Test Results
2. Create a new text field called Test Date and assign it to the Test Results tab. Make the field's User Read Only set to yes. (So students cannot change or modify field)
3. Create a new text field called Subject and assign it to the Test Results tab. Make the field's User Read Only set to yes. (So students cannot change or modify field)
4. Create a new text field called Score and assign it to the Test Results tab. Make the field's User Read Only set to yes. (So students cannot change or modify field)

Now use CBJuice to export your entire database to a CSV file, open the users.csv file and add the data to each students data columns. Save the file as a csv and then use CBJuice to import the file back into CB database with your new fields filled in.

Scott

12 years 2 months ago #192085 by angello
Replied by angello on topic Re: New Plugin - Help needed
Thanks,
But do I have to do this for every test for the student?
The school have 4 -6 tests x 4 times pr. year, and most students go in this private school for 4-6 years. Will that be like 16 fields x 4 times a year x 4-6 years.
I am not sure this sounds like an easy way to maintain this system, or a correct way to build a database??

Thanks

12 years 2 months ago #192087 by rspack
No, you do not have to do it using CBJuice. That was a suggestion to import large amounts of new data. You could still add the fields and new tab as stated and from the backend, use CB User Manager to open each student's profile and manually enter the data. Other than this I am not sure exactly what you wish to happen to get the data into the database. Its either manually add them or try the CBJuice to have the options to cut and paste the data from one spread sheet to the other.

Either way it seems like somewhere in this process you will be manually entering the data somewhere.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn