error 500 when updating member information

12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #192942 by Heather_G
I'm pretty new to Joomla and was hired to work with an existing website. The problem that has come up is when a member logs in through the front end and attempts to update their profile, they receive a "500 internal server error". The error message reads, "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request."

The changes show up on the backend, so the update works but the error message shows up anyway.

I contacted the hosting company to see if they had any ideas of what could be causing the problem and they found that the update script is looping upon execution.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I just updated Community Builder in hopes that would fix the issue, but no luck. I am running Joomla Version 1.5.25

The website is www.cachecanada.org

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago #193055 by bk6366
Any possibility to update Joomla from 1.5 to the current version?

bk
---
J1.7.3 / CB 1.7.1 / PHP 5.2.17 (no, not upgrading yet)
Current J/CB Project

'Terse'
Guide to getting answers
Please note that pm's related to CB issues will go unanswered. That's what the forums are for.

12 years 1 month ago #193057 by Heather_G
Replied by Heather_G on topic Re: error 500 when updating member information
That suggestion has been taken to the board of the organization. They are apparently discussing it. I'm hoping that I can solve this problem in the meantime.

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #193062 by Heather_G
When I was searching the FAQs I came across the idea that it could be a PHP memory error. I ran the test found here: www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/95-installation/18200-checking-your-php-memory

And I got this back: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 100663296 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 100663297 bytes) in <span>/</span>home<span>/</span>cachecan/public_html/phpmemtest.php on line 15

You can see the results here:
www.cachecanada.org/phpmemtest.php

Their response was this: "As far as I can see your script is reaching global execution memory limits. Please note that your account is situated on a shared hosting server and we cannot change limits per user request. For more information about current PHP configuration and limits, please open this link:

cachecanada.org/phpinfo.php

In order for the issue to be fixed I can suggest you the following options:

1) To contact a local developer and ask your application to be optimized.
2) To upgrade your account"

I am on a shared server. Does Community Builder need a dedicated server? Or is this a corrupt file issue?

12 years 1 month ago #193064 by bk6366
I'm running CB on a shared server with only 100mb of RAM, your 96mb should work fine.
Interesting -
If I can find time I'll dig around and see if there's some incompatibility with your hosting setup (if possible).

bk
---
J1.7.3 / CB 1.7.1 / PHP 5.2.17 (no, not upgrading yet)
Current J/CB Project

'Terse'
Guide to getting answers
Please note that pm's related to CB issues will go unanswered. That's what the forums are for.

12 years 1 month ago #193066 by Heather_G
That would be fabulous.

Would it help to attach the log from the strace command that the hosting company used to determine that the update script is looping upon execution? (It's pretty long)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn