Unable to find setup package. read before flaming.

13 years 4 months ago #149428 by nate_k
After several agitating hours of trying to install this suite without success I am now posting here.

Yes I have looked all over the forums. Yes I have read the poorly written documentation. Yes I have unzipped the folder first. Yes I have made sure ftp layer is disabled in the config AND backend. Yes the install is a FRESH default install. Yes installation of CB was attempted as first thing to ever be installed.

Now on to the problem.

com_comprofiler.zip fails to install on Byethost. without fail. Now, your documentation starts to go through things in some detail until it actually gets to the part of installing the component. Where it fails in instruction is that once the files are extracted to com_installer the instructions are not clear enough that it is either to be placed in /com_installer/"component"/cb or just /com_installer/cb. Next of all there, say if you had problems installing virtuemart, you upload the expert files then run the install script by simply running an added url statment to start the component install. There are not even examples of how this would be accompolished.

Everyone says on almost EVERY post on this problem to ready the documentation. Well, I wouldnt be here asking if the documentation was a little more complete.

In most refrences and in the documentation it says to try multiple things. first upload to com_installer and run from the extension manager. Really?.... Well first SOMETHING has to be started to be even shown there to run in the first place.. so once again starting the install script or launching the sql to even be installed has to be started somehow. Unless we are just supposed to know that we now should go to our phpadmin and execute the script in the db which I havent done yet.

I can tell you this is just a repeated problem that I have come across this suite over the last few years. Most simply fixable by the FTP layer suggestion so thats not the case this time, and the folders are unzipped and individual things uploaded.

Now on the the expert install instructions. Quite basically.... upload files, read step 11 (or is it 3) in new install txt, which moves back to intalling com_comprofiler. which fails to install...

see where im going with this? I would happily give backend access since the work thats done would only take another 2 hours to do again, I'd even be willing to make sure the host is wiped clean and a fresh clean install in place. I've also done that 3 times already before posting here. So im quite frustrated and very sorry if I seems a little crass.

Help other than "read the documentation" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #149433 by nant
It would really help if you gave some data regarding your environment.

See our Help Us Help You article (see signature for link) and post back findings please.

If you are doing a new install on a Joomla 1.5 environment and all CB prerequisites are in order (mainly PHP version and memory), then you should have no issue.

Once you post back Help Us Help You findings I would be willing to take a look at your environment (please PM me backend superadmin access - just click on little person icon in left lower corner of this post to visit my profile and send me a message) and see what is wrong and how we can make the "poor" installation documentation better.

13 years 2 months ago #152908 by ethistle
Was this resolved?

I am having the same problem with installing the main component.

I need some help on this -I am on a deadline for tomorrow to have it up and running!

Let me know

Cheers
Jimmy

13 years 2 months ago #152920 by nant

ethistle wrote: Was this resolved?

I am having the same problem with installing the main component.

I need some help on this -I am on a deadline for tomorrow to have it up and running!

Let me know

Cheers
Jimmy

As you can see the user did not respond when asked to give additional information.

Sorry, I have the same problem does not help.

Please start a new thread - give your details, read our FAQ.

13 years 2 months ago #152922 by ethistle
I have solved the problem by unpacking the comprofiler zip, uploading the comprofiler folder up to the public_html/tmp area.

I then installed it from there without any problem. This was much easier than trying to follow the instructions in the documentation.

Funnily enough, I was able to load it onto another account on a different server without any problems. I have 8 servers which I use so it may be slightly different php unzip libraries which is causing the problem

Cheers
Jim

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #152923 by nant
Check your upload file limit in PHPinfo.
Could be set too low - if under 2M you will have issues with larger files.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn