What?... Still Not Joomla v1.6-Ready??

13 years 3 months ago #152647 by wmbell
So... I'm trying to set up a Joomla v1.6 site, but it looks like Community Builder still isn't ready?!?

It's sad to see, since Joomla's v1.6 Beta/RC was out for a while. And now that the official release of Joomla v1.6 has been out, for over three weeks, it disappointing to know that Joomlapolis has yet again failed to meet the expectations of its community.

How long will it be, and how many users/customers will you have to lose, until Joomlapolis realizes what "dependable" means??

SO frustrating... :angry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 3 months ago #152648 by nant
Frustrating for us as well, especially since things were working on beta/rc releases (if you didn't notice) and have been broken by last minute Joomla API changes.

Joomla took over 2 years to get to 1.6.0.

We are working on things and our customers will get CB 1.4 (compatible with Joomla 1.6.0) when its ready.

13 years 3 months ago #152653 by wmbell
Replied by wmbell on topic Re: What?... Still Not Joomla v1.6-Ready??

nant wrote: Joomla took over 2 years to get to 1.6.0.

We are working on things and our customers will get CB 1.4 (compatible with Joomla 1.6.0) when its ready.

I've been with Community Builder and Joomla, since early adoptions of Joomla v1.0.x, so I know how long it took Joomla to get to v1.6. That also means that I've been around long enough to form the opinion that Joomlapolis rarely makes a timely release. I've even been "sucked into" the idea of paying for your subscription service...twice! Both, of which, I had to ask myself, "Why did you pay for this service, when you never managed to benefit from it?" It seems to me that Joomlapolis is less-and-less concerned about their product being "Still Free & Open Source" and more-and-more about driving profitability and revenue from subscriptions and product add-ons!

nant wrote: Frustrating for us as well, especially since things were working on beta/rc releases (if you didn't notice) and have been broken by last minute Joomla API changes.

If it was a "last minute Joomla API change", why does it take three weeks to fix? Please enlighten us.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mumana

13 years 3 months ago #152654 by nant
Will not comment on your first comment as it will not be productive.

Community Builder is free but it has a cost that must be allocated somewhere.

The CB Team has contributed many patches to help get Joomla 1.6 released.

As for what the issues are you can follow them on our forge:

forge.joomlapolis.com/projects/cb/issues?query_id=11

I see your frustration and I also wish we could have magically released a version of CB the very next day after Joomla 1.6.0 was released.

13 years 3 months ago #152655 by nant
Ah, and a latest one that is not on the forge yet - it appears that the Joomla API has not taken into account suppressing emailing when new subscribers are created through its API. This means that 2 emails are currently being sent - one by CB and one by Joomla.

FYI - Joomla 1.5 did not have this issue.

13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #152660 by wmbell
Replied by wmbell on topic Re: What?... Still Not Joomla v1.6-Ready??

nant wrote: ...Community Builder is free but it has a cost that must be allocated somewhere.

Due to my previous post, I do not feel the need to comment on this statement.

nant wrote: The CB Team has contributed many patches to help get Joomla 1.6 released.

Wonderful! I was not aware that the CB Team works on the Joomla CMS itself. Maybe on Joomla's next release, the CB Team could work a little closer on the API!

nant wrote: As for what the issues are you can follow them on our forge:
forge.joomlapolis.com/projects/cb/issues?query_id=11

Are you trying to make us laugh, while proving my point about timely releases??

CB 2.0 RC1
Due in 28 days (02/28/2011)
Community Builder 2.0 RC 1
0% (completion)
forge.joomlapolis.com/projects/cb/roadmap#CB%202.0%20RC1

nant wrote: I see your frustration and I also wish we could have magically released a version of CB the very next day after Joomla 1.6.0 was released.

Since the real world knows that magic doesn't exist, we wouldn't expect perfection that quickly. We would, however, like to see better communication between the Development Team and the End-Users/Customers of Community Builder.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn