Mass mailing targeting a CB user list

12 years 8 months ago #173119 by nant

empy wrote: I'm aware of the the backend but it is a bad alternative for us. Yes, we can use it for some of the mailings but our site is set up so that only technical admins have backend access and all content providers work solely in the frontend.

I still think there's a need for an extension that does this from the frontend.

Mike

I understand the need.
But mass emailing is more of a backend function as it can easily be abused...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #173122 by empy
Well, that depends on the type of the site. I would be ready to open up this function to all my registered users. But I operate a small site where all know each other IRL. We have other methods to deal with abuse cases, in the unlikely case that they appear. But there are of course many sites where this would be out of the question.

Mike

PS. We already have everybody's mail address visible to all registered users. Manual abuse is already possible by collecting the addresses by hand, but we have had no problems.

12 years 8 months ago #173307 by sigi76
Replied by sigi76 on topic Re: Mass mailing targeting a CB user list

nant wrote:

empy wrote: I'm aware of the the backend but it is a bad alternative for us. Yes, we can use it for some of the mailings but our site is set up so that only technical admins have backend access and all content providers work solely in the frontend.

I still think there's a need for an extension that does this from the frontend.

Mike

I understand the need.
But mass emailing is more of a backend function as it can easily be abused...

Totally agree that mass mail can be more easily abused when available on the frontend.
However it is also totally dependant on what sort of site you have and what kind of audience you have. Apart from that, one can still limit acces to such a button through the ranking system inherent to the joomla engine.

The ones that i found currently available tend to clash with CB. Alternatively CB does not have such a module available. So i'm quickly faced with the choice of either not having mass mail on the frontend, or not using CB if i do want one.

Im no programmer but from what i understand it doesn't take massive programming to get such a feature on the frontend. After all it already exist in the backend. Would be absolutely fantastic if the CB mass mail function (which works fantasticly)could be made available in the front end as well.

I would surely use it.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #173321 by empy

sigi76 wrote:
Im no programmer but from what i understand it doesn't take massive programming to get such a feature on the frontend. After all it already exist in the backend. Would be absolutely fantastic if the CB mass mail function (which works fantasticly)could be made available in the front end as well.

This is about doing more than just cloning the CB mass mailer to the frontend. That mailer do not use lists and you can only filter on some criteria, or select users manually, when you mass mail. (I'm still on CB 1.3.1 so please correct me if the backend mass mailer has been expanded.) The main point in this feature proposal is to use the CB lists for mass mailing.

And no. It is definitively not rocket science to do that. Lists are just pre-defined SQL queries and the mail address sits there in a field in the database.

Mike

12 years 6 months ago #179539 by ThePiston
Replied by ThePiston on topic Re: Mass mailing targeting a CB user list
there is an extension for this:http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/cbmailing/

set up a list then give access to people for that list. they can send emails to the people on that list hey have access to from the frontend. Only issue I've found is that it sends email from the person logged in which will get you blacklisted on some spam filters. i fixed it here:http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/cbmailing/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=26549

there are no replies on this extension about updating it so it looks dead though for 1.6/7

CB 2.3, CBsubs 4.3, PHP 7.1, J! 3.9.X

12 years 6 months ago #179672 by empy
Yes, that's a dead project and it does not work at all in my environment. There's also other users with similar experience of it. So it is clearly not a solution to this problem.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn