Laws on PMS

17 years 10 months ago #14740 by scottm
Laws on PMS was created by scottm
Hello all,

Are there laws in place that stipulate that messages sent between users on websites need to be kept in an event that explicit conversations have taken place?

My friends run quite a successful website that uses a message system. Users can do all the usual stuff (send, archive etc) but when they clear their history it appears clean to them but in fact they are not deleted on the database as this is used to provide evidence if explicit talks have taken place.

Is this needed and if so can UddieIM do this?

Post edited by: scottm, at: 2006/06/05 13:00

Please Log in to join the conversation.

17 years 10 months ago #14745 by masyomo
Replied by masyomo on topic Re:Laws on PMS
aren't private messages private?! :unsure:

17 years 10 months ago #14748 by scottm
Replied by scottm on topic Re:Laws on PMS
They are private to the users, but if a user reports someone for illegal talk, im sure they loose their right to protection.

17 years 10 months ago #14781 by masyomo
Replied by masyomo on topic Re:Laws on PMS
well I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure there are no laws that require you to keep the details of other peoples private discussions. Maybe in some extreme circumstance such as finding out people were using your message system to plot a terrorist attack you might be asked to provide access to your database but I hardly think you'd get any blame for not keeping details - you'd only be to blame if you were encouraging illegal activity or allowing it to happen.

On the otherhand there are laws regarding what data you're allowed to hold about people so it might also be worth checking up whether or not memebsr should be told that their private messages are kept on record and that other people are able to read them.

17 years 10 months ago #14786 by Raj
Replied by Raj on topic Re:Laws on PMS
They're archived in the database until they expire. The admin can use PHPBBMyadmin to browse the database, and therefore all, archived messages. Don't say anything in a private message you don't want the admin not knowing.

Roger

17 years 10 months ago #14800 by scottm
Replied by scottm on topic Re:Laws on PMS
I'm seeking confirmation from some experts I work with. They are clued up on this sort of stuff.

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds