CC and how it's displayed

10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #239144 by Sc00by
CC and how it's displayed was created by Sc00by
Hello

A few of my members who use this feature has noted that they can't see who a message was sent to. I enabled the CC option but have noticed a few issues. Can someone clarify please?

1. The CC option is selected by default, is it possible to have this unchecked by default?

2. In the uddeim message window a message clearly displays who a message went do by showing CC: username after the message however in the email that's sent CC: is missing and it's just a list of names for example:

Online:

Thanks
Sc00by

CC: News Super User

Email:

Thanks
Sc00by News Super User

As you can see it can therefore be confusing.

3. When replying to a message is it possible for everyone that was originally in the first to be automatically copied in to the reply?

4. CC is not really the correct terminology? - It's more of Who the message was sent to rather than who it was copied to? - Is it easy to change CC to TO or Show recipients?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 4 months ago #239149 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic CC and how it's displayed

Sc00by wrote: Hello

A few of my members who use this feature has noted that they can't see who a message was sent to. I enabled the CC option but have noticed a few issues. Can someone clarify please?

1. The CC option is selected by default, is it possible to have this unchecked by default?

No, sorry, there is no option for that. You can modify the html code displayed in include.php to have the option unchecked.

2. In the uddeim message window a message clearly displays who a message went do by showing CC: username after the message however in the email that's sent CC: is missing and it's just a list of names for example:

Online:

Thanks
Sc00by

CC: News Super User

Email:

Thanks
Sc00by News Super User

As you can see it can therefore be confusing.

The CC: line should also be added to the email. I have to check this.

3. When replying to a message is it possible for everyone that was originally in the first to be automatically copied in to the reply?

No, that is not possible. The CC: line is a quick'n'dirty fix to let the receiver know about all recipients. The recipients are not stored in the database, extracting the receivers from the message text would not be reliable.

4. CC is not really the correct terminology? - It's more of Who the message was sent to rather than who it was copied to? - Is it easy to change CC to TO or Show recipients?

"Show recipients" *is* definitely be a better terminology. I will change this in the language file.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #239535 by jimrowland
Replied by jimrowland on topic CC and how it's displayed

slabbi wrote:

No, that is not possible. The CC: line is a quick'n'dirty fix to let the receiver know about all recipients. The recipients are not stored in the database, extracting the receivers from the message text would not be reliable.

One possible solution for the "reply all" feature would be to create another field in the fsej_uddeim table, and create some sort of messageID.

In the current implementation, there is a unique record for each recipient, with the only difference being the unique record ID (id field) and the user id of each recipient (toid field). Later, as each recipient manipulates the message (marks as read, deletes, flags, etc.), then those field become different within each record at that point... but when the message is first sent, all of the fields are the same in each record, except for those two fields.

Anyway... if another field was added to the table (messageID), then the "reply all" button could retrieve the fromid field as the primary recipient and also retrieve each toid record with a corresponding messageID, and these would be CC'd.

Just a thought for the future.

10 years 3 months ago #239572 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic CC and how it's displayed
I know how to implement this. ;) The reason why it is not implemented is that it requires major code changes and not only few lines.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon
Time to create page: 0.335 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn