New Content Email Notification by Category

16 years 7 months ago #46057 by weazle
I just wanted to chime in by adding that it would be very nice to fully customize your content categories and sections with emailing functions... in otherwords, set it up where everyone who has content in "category A" gets an email notification of new content IN THAT CATEGORY only. Is there a way to have Joomla check for CB users in that category and send out emails if there is new content in that category?

I run a website that has a ton of categories and would like to have my site email only those people who have content in that category. Or is there already a way to do this using something else?

Thanks,
Scott

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 7 months ago #46117 by slabbi
But this is not a feature for a PMS (Private Mail System) component, is it?

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

16 years 7 months ago #46136 by weazle
Nope, but if there was a way to integrate all emailing functions together, which is why I did mention it here, in hopes that if the great minds came together it could be figured out how to come up with that function for everything, PMS included, via CB integration.

Since the emailing function is essentially the same for all Joomla! components/modules/mambots, we should be able to figure out a way to integrate the basic functions in Joomla! and PMS. Alot of 3rd party Review components, news modules, etc. out there utilize the basic Content functions of Joomla!. So if a module/component were to be written we should include integrations for such functions as PMS.

So any input dealing with emailing/PMS should be considered for future development, not just "fixing" one module or another... well, that's my two cents worth!

Scott

16 years 6 months ago #47954 by skashi
Hey Scott

I am looking for exactly the same thing as you - An email notifier for new content added to a category if your user is assigned to that category.

Have you managed to find a plugin that can do this?

Regards
Gavin

16 years 6 months ago #47957 by nant

16 years 6 months ago #47966 by weazle

Nant said:

shouldn't joomla rss be used for such features?

Only if the user chooses to enable the RSS feed, sure. What I am looking for is to have a certain group and/or select users recieve an automatic email notification upon a new content being submitted in their category. Example:

Upon registration, a user selects from a list "Unreal Tournament". Now, whenever a new content item is submitted ONLY in that "Unreal Tournament" category, all individuals who selected "Unreal Tournament" upon registering recieve the notification email.

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn